#Werk: The Benefits of Having a Job in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Studies say that college students are working more than ever. In 2011, the U.S. Census Bureau reported 71 percent of undergraduates 16 and older worked while enrolled in school. In Minnesota, there’s an estimated 15 to 19.9 percent of students who are even working full-time. While some parents may worry about the hours their children record, there are life-long benefits for those who balance work and school.

Time Management

In a study from the University of Buffalo, 25 percent of college students claimed to be “chronic procrastinators.” One might think that adding a job to the mix of an already busy college schedule would  only contribute to the problem. On the contrary, a job can help develop skills of prioritizing and balancing many tasks at once. The demand for multitasking can create time management skills in many students that may have struggled before.

Learning to Manage a Budget

According to the Institute for College Access & Success, the University of Minnesota’s average debt for graduates in 2014 was $26,796. This shows that students can count on at least some debt when they are done at the University. Having a paycheck, paying taxes and managing spending is one way to lower, or even combat, the amount of debt a student acquires during his or her time in school.  

Future Career Skills

The National Association of Colleges and Employers, a non-profit organization from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, conducted a study that asked employers what they look for in prospective employees. The top three desired traits were teamwork, problem solving skills and the ability to plan, organize and prioritize. All of these abilities naturally come from working in a group atmosphere. Learning to get along with coworkers, solving difficult problems throughout the day and getting tasks done all help prepare students for future careers.

All of these benefits, plus many more, help students in their daily lives. When balanced correctly, working while in school can be both a positive and rewarding experience.

The University of Minnesota has endless resources to help you find jobs, volunteer opportunities and internships, both on- and off-campus.

Office of Human Resources

You can search on their website to start the search for student employment within the University itself. There are opportunities for students who qualify for work-study as well as those who don’t.

GoldPASS

This website connects University students with a constantly updated database of opportunities from alumni and other organizations that provide employment, volunteer opportunities, and internships.

Career Services

This University resource can help compile resumes, build professional networks and prepare for interviews. The different colleges within the University have their own separate offices around campus that can better cater to your personal needs.

These services are just a handful of resources that the University of Minnesota offers to help find jobs and start careers for its students. There are plenty of benefits that having a job while going to school can provide to you, and plenty of employment opportunities that are waiting to give right back to you.

Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!