Quotes We’ll Never Forget From the 2016 Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

No matter what side of the argument you were on for this election, there’s no denying that it was historic. We discussed women, minorities, immigration, sexual violence, healthcare, climate change, foreign policy and pretty much everything in between. Despite the hostility the opponents attacked each other with, this election brought forth several quotes that we’ll never forget — statements that were so true, powerful and inspiring that they simply needed to be put all in one place.

“I thought it would be important to remind these young women how important and valuable they are. I wanted them to understand that the measure of any society is how it treats its women and girls.” — Michelle Obama

“I know how disappointed you feel because I feel it too… To all the little girls watching this, never doubt that you are valuable, and powerful, and deserving of every change and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” — Hillary Clinton

“When they go low, we go high.” — Michelle Obama

“People have talked about a miracle. I am hearing about a nightmare. It’s hard to be a parent tonight for a lot of us. You tell your kids, ‘don’t be a bully.’ You tell your kids, ‘don’t be a bigot.’ You tell your kids, ‘do your homework and be prepared.’ And then you have this outcome…This was many things. This was a rebellion against the elites. True. It was a complete re-invention of politics and polls — it’s true. But it’s also something else… We haven’t talked about race. This was a white lash against a changing country. It was a white lash against a black president, in part. And that’s the part where the pain comes.” — Van Jones

“You are asking Americans to trust you with their future. Let me ask you, have you even read the United States Constitution? I will gladly lend you my copy. In this document, look for the words ‘liberty’ and ‘equal protection of law.’ Have you ever been to Arlington Cemetery? Go look at the graves of brave patriots who died defending the United States of America. You will see all faiths, genders, and ethnicities.” — Khizr Khan

“Now it is time for America to bind the wounds of division. To all Republicans, to all Democrats across this nation — I say it is time for us to come together as one united people. I pledge to every citizen of our land, that I will be President for all Americans, and this is so important to me.” — Donald Trump

Without a doubt, this election has been memorable. For all the moments we dreaded, there were also moments such as these that reminded us of who we are as Americans.