bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Quick Changes to Get Healthy This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

With the cold weather, early sunsets, and heavy school load, winter is always a hard time to be motivated to get back in shape and make healthier choices. However, whether you are escaping to somewhere warm or just going home for spring break, warmer weather is (somewhat) around the corner, so have a goal to make a few healthy changes.

1.     Try an in-home workout.

Everyone knows it’s hard to work up the motivation to go to the rec when it feels like it’s -20 degrees outside, so try to find or customize a simple in-home workout to keep yourself motivated. Try a workout just to get moving or focus on a specific part of your body you want to pay attention to such as an Ab/core based focus routine.

2.  Check out opportunities on campus

If you do find the motivation to bear the cold, try out the free mental and physical health services on campus. Boynton has free yoga, pilates and tai chi classes during the week, or try out free yoga and meditation with the Mindfulness for Students Club here on campus, which meets every Friday, usually around 5:00pm in the Mayo Meditation Room. There is also a $55 dollar pass available at the rec for a semester of the unlimited classes they have to offer such as cycle strength, hip hop jam, and Zumba.

3.     Pack healthy snacks for lectures and throughout the day.

Everyone is guilty of getting up at the last minute some days and buying snacks from the vending machines that could have easily been swapped for something more nutritious. A few healthy snack options include frozen fruit, trail mix, or a smoothie.

4.     If you haven’t already heard it a million times, DRINK WATER.

As we all know, water has tons of benefits on the body as our cells are mainly made up of water and need it to thrive, so carry around a water bottle and drink extra water on days when you consume dehydrating drinks such as coffee. Not a big water drinker? Try sparkling water, but try to cut out high intakes of sugary juices and sodas.

5.     Be positive!

Keep in mind that there is no such thing as a “bikini body”. Spring break is notoriously known as the time to go and have fun with your friends and nothing should stop you from that, so go out and have a good time!

You got this, Gophers!

Bec E

Minnesota '21

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.