Passion & Perseverance: Pang Yang

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Pang Yang is a senior pursuing a Bachelors of Individualized Studies in Sociology, Public Health and Human Health and Wellness. She’s the Director of Team Development for the College of Liberal Arts’ First Year Experience program, and is on the board for the Hmong Minnesota Student Association. She looks great on paper, but in person, she’ll blow you away even more with her infectious smile and her passion for uplifting others.

Q & A with Pang

Q: What are you passionate about?

A: I’m passionate about a bunch of things! I’m one of those people who, if they could, would probably major in 23 things. If I had to pick one thing, I’d say it would be the promotion of being one’s best self. One of my favorite quotes is, “All you have to be is better than you were yesterday.”

Q: Why is it important to be passionate about something?

A: It’s important because our passions can become our purpose. It’s the driving factor in why we wake up every day.

Q: When you’re happiest, what are you doing?

A: That’s a hard one because I’m typically the happiest person anyone knows, even to me. I’m happiest when I’m able to make someone’s day or uplift someone.

Q: What advice do you have for students looking to take on leadership roles on campus?

A: Always do what you’re afraid to do – that’s the one quote that convinced me to run for board for the Hmong Minnesota Student Association and I got it. At the end of the day, it’s about genuinely being you and in that, people will notice you. People will remember you if you are genuinely you, I promise.

Just for Fun

Favorite Food: Ice cream, does that count as food?

Favorite Song Right Now: Rise Up by Andra Day!

What is your dream job?: Academic Advising! And soon it will be a dream no more!

One thing you can’t live without: Knowledge. I am always craving it.

One thing you love about yourself: My ability to persevere through anything.

Erika is a proud Golden Gopher, passionate about writing, designing, and working with others. She is graduating from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in December 2016 with double majors in Strategic Communication and German, Scandinavian, & Dutch. In her free time, Erika likes to read, practice yoga, and try her hand at cooking, in addition to binge-watching episodes of Friends.