This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Spoken word is a form of poetry that’s meant to be performed out loud. Its delivery is what really makes a poem come to life. I love going to slam events to hear the passion in the artists voices because it’s always so moving. Here are some of my favorite poets who I’ve seen perform live:

Blythe Baird

Blythe’s performances are the reason I got into spoken word. Her content was extremely relatable to me at the time because I started watching her in the midst of my eating disorder. She also has done amazing work about topics ranging from being a feminist, sexual assault and her parents’ disapproval of her homosexuality. Some of my favorite poems are “When the Fat Girl Gets Skinny,” “For the Rapists Who Call Themselves Feminists,” “Fuckboys,” and “Pocket-Sized Feminism.”

Neil Hilborn

Neil’s OCD poem is by far the most viewed poem on Button Poetry’s YouTube channel, and for good reason. It’s so captivating, and it takes your emotions for a ride. He’s also an amazing live performer and frequent host at Button Poetry’s live events at Camp Bar. He’s absolutely hilarious but can really get you into your feelings with his honesty.

Javon Johnson

It’s crazy how when Javon speaks, you can literally feel every single word. His poems give me goosebumps on goosebumps. He has so much passion in his voice and puts everything he has into his performances. Some of his must-watch poems are “Cuz He’s Black,” “Debt,” and “A Letter to My Unborn Daughter.”

Anna Binkovitz

If you want to hear poems about being a woman in today’s society, definitely check out Anna’s work. I want to yell “PREACH” with every line she speaks. Her powerful voice always delivers an important message that ranges from body issues to expressing sexuality. I really like “The Mirror,” “Asking for It,” and “To the Boy I Would Have Lost my Virginity To.”

Kevin Yang

I had never heard of Kevin before seeing him perform live, but once he read his first poem, I knew that he was going to be one of my favorite poets. His poems range from being quirky and comedic to deep and thought provoking. His voice is so calm and easy to listen to. Check out my faves of his: “How to Love Your Introvert,” “Come Home,” and “Fourth.”

Joseph Capehart

Joseph’s poems flow so beautifully and he uses comedic relief at the most appropriate times. I always have to rewatch them to discover the true meaning because his words are so deep and can pack a punch. He uses his life as a black male living in today’s society as inspiration for his masterpieces. Watch “America Diss Track,” “The Hill,” and “Bad Ideas.”

If you like what you see from these poets, be sure to check them out live! Many of these people are frequent performers at Button Poetry’s live event at Camp Bar in St. Paul on the first Monday of every month. Check out their Facebook page for more information!

Erin Gallagher is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota studying child psychology. Her dream job is being a therapist for adolescents and helping them through their difficult times. In her freetime, she loves to lift weights at the gym and see movies with her friends. Follow her on Instagram to see what she's up to! @eringallagher96
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.