Jordan Anderson: How Hockey Has Shaped Her College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Jordan Anderson is a first year student at the University of Minnesota majoring in elementary education, so she can ultimately become a third grade teacher. Here at the U, she’s on the Women’s Club Hockey team and a part of the National Society for Collegiate Scholars. She also had the opportunity to be a part of the National University hockey team where she played in Kazakhstan. She’s had so many cool experiences here so far so I decided to interview her; here’s a little bit about her and her life at the U:

Q: Why did you choose the University of Minnesota?

A: The U was always my dream school growing up and my sister went here as well, which made me fall in love with it even more.

Q: Who is your role model?

A: My sister would be my biggest role model because she was always the person I wanted to be when growing up whether it was in school, sports, or in general.

Q: What is the best advice you’ve ever been given?

A: Don’t take time for granted because you never know when it might stop.

Q: Do you have any advice for incoming freshmen?

A: If you don’t make friends right away, don’t worry because throughout the year you’ll meet so many people that you’ll connect with.

Q: What inspired you to start playing hockey?

A: There was a boy I liked in second grade that played hockey, so I decided to join, and I’ve played it ever since!

Q: How did you find out you made the National University team?

A: Going into my first year on club hockey, I didn’t know there was even a National University team, but a few of the older girls told us about it and the World University Games. I got an email during my CEHD first year class inviting me to the tryout. There was a three-day tryout in Chicago and St. Louis, and then four days later I got a call while eating dinner saying that I had made the team!

Q: What was it like being on the National University team?

A: Being on the National University team, we went to the World University Games in Almaty, Kazakhstan which was like a mini Olympics for college athletes. There was hockey, figure skating, skiing, snowboarding, curling, etc. The team had club hockey members from all over the country at different colleges. We got to stay in the Athlete’s Village which was built just for the games, which was amazing. While there we played Russia, Canada and Japan twice, winning in the Bronze medal game against Japan.

Q: How has playing for the club hockey team shaped your college experience?

A: I have gained a lot of friendships from club hockey because hockey was something we all shared and had in common. It’ is also great to be able to continue something you love at school even if it is just club. I am really glad that I decided to do it because it has been a huge part of what my college experience is to me.

Just for Fun

Coffee order: Java Chip.

Favorite song: “Summer” by Brothers Osborne.

Something you can’t live without: Ice cream and cookies.

Something you’re grateful for: My parents for helping me be proud of who I am.

Clearly Jordan’s been killin’ it here at the U so far both on the club hockey and the National University team. I’m so thankful I had the opportunity to interview her and learn so much more about her!

Emily Monday

Minnesota '20

Proud Wisconsinite and die hard Packer fan. Avid coffee drinker, dog lover, and Netflix binge watcher.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.