This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

I’m sure everyone has heard of self-care due to all of the articles about it, but what is all the hype about? To some, self-care may seem like another hot topic in society and you may be convinced you have better things to do with your time. However, self-care is an important part of living a healthy lifestyle and everyone, whether you think you need it or not, should engage in some sort of self-care routine that works with their schedule.

To start off, self-care is often explained incorrectly, so to define the concept in this article it is about being kind to yourself and learning that it is okay to make time for YOU.

There are many different ways you can choose to engage in a self-care routine, whether it is something simple like taking time to drink coffee and watch your favorite show before starting your busy day, or meditating to calm your mind. As long as it makes YOU happy, that’s all that matters! There are many different types of self-care and this article goes into depth about the sensory, emotional, spiritual, physical, and social aspects as well as how to engage in each type. If you still need some tips on how to get started, this article from Forbes lists the benefits of self-care and why you should not neglect it.

Keeping that in mind, there are many things in life that may feel good but are not good for you, such as drugs, over-eating, and many others. When creating your personalized self-care routine make sure you incorporate things that are going to better your overall well-being, not hurt it.

Everyone has stressful weeks, busy days, and often we feel like we never have enough time for ourselves. This new year, make yourself a priority in your life and don’t give a f*ck what anyone else thinks. Love yourself like Kanye loves Kanye.

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace.