Gabby Granada: Girl Power That Goes Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Chicago native Gabby Granada is a champion of all things girl power. She’s a sophomore majoring in English, but her interests and passions extend far beyond the classroom. Though she isn’t quite sure where she’ll end up in the future, one thing is clear: this girl has the passion, motivation and inspiration that’ll allow her to make a real change in the world.

Q: What brought you to the University of Minnesota from Chicago?

A: All I knew was: I wanted to go to a Big 10 school and it couldn’t be in cornfields. That narrowed it down quickly.

Q: What are you involved in on campus?

A: I give presentations around campus about consent and sexual assault as a Violence Prevention Educator for the The Aurora Center. I’m an editor for Ivory Tower, the University of Minnesota’s undergraduate art and literary magazine and a writer at The Wake Magazine. I’m also an executive for She’s the First, a student group here on campus that fights and fundraises for the education of girls in developing countries.

Q: What are you passionate about?

A: The agency education enables, the power of film and words and the ongoing fight for women’s rights.

Q: What does “girl power” mean to you?

A: It’s feminism; it’s education; it’s lifting other strong women around you upward.

Q: Who is your role model?

A: All the immeasurably strong women in my life—and Carrie Fisher.

Q: What is the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?

A: “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once and awhile, you could miss it.” –Ferris Bueller, a fictional character that I often forget is fictional.

Just for fun

Q: Favorite movie?

A: 10 Things I Hate About You

Q: Favorite restaurant in Minneapolis?

A: Birchwood Café. I was impossibly undecided when it came to choosing a college. After touring the U, we ate at Birchwood, and let’s just say…the decision was suddenly very, very easy.

Q: Dream job?

A: Internally: AHHHHHHHHHH

Externally: Writing about things that matter, being a film critic and/or empowering women and girls in whatever form that may take. (My real dream job: Professional Cheese Taster).

Q: Favorite song?

A: “Noble Heart” by Phox

Q: Something you love about yourself?

A: My drive.

Natalee is a sophomore at the University of Minnesota Twin Cities. Despite being a girl from Green Bay in Vikings territory, she loves her Minnesota home.
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.