This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

As I write this, it’s hard to believe my college career will be over in just a couple of short weeks. I’ve loved my time as a student, and if I could, I’d probably stick around forever. My cardinal college rule: Make the most of every opportunity that comes your way. Keep a positive attitude, work hard and have fun. Here’s what I’ve learned during my time as a collegiette:

Eat healthy and be active.

Your late teens and early twenties are the best time to develop healthy habits. At the U, you also have full access to the University Recreation and Wellness Center for free (well, included in your tuition, at least). Take advantage of going there, because after you graduate you’ll have to pay for a gym membership. Take advantage of eating healthy foods on campus, too. There are always healthy alternatives available at your favorite shops–like opting for a wrap and green grapes at Starbucks instead of a pastry or piece of cinnamon cake.

It’s okay to skip class.

Shh… don’t tell your professors! Obviously, I don’t condone skipping class all the time, but if your mental health is on the brink, you need sleep or you just know you won’t learn much by going, then don’t go. Honestly. Most teachers upload their lecture slides to Moodle after class, anyway, so you can catch up on what you missed after hours. You’re an adult, so you can decide for yourself whether you need to go to class or not. If you’re not feeling it, it’s okay to skip.

Learn to say yes.

When someone asks you to try something new, say yes. You’ll never remember the nights you sat at home watching Netflix or working on a paper that isn’t due for five more days. Go out, have fun and meet new people. It can be intimidating to say “yes” to something you otherwise wouldn’t have tried on your own–like going ice skating downtown or trying a Zumba class at the Rec. Say yes anyway. You’ll almost always be glad you did, because you’ll meet new friends, learn more about the city and campus, and you might even have fun.

Learn to say no.

By the same token, learn to say no to the things you just really, really don’t want to do. Your supervisor at work may ask you to stay late, but you know you need to write a paper. Your roommates may ask you to go out to the bar, but you haven’t eaten much that day and know that a hangover would ensue the next day. Whatever it is, if you feel uneasy and don’t want to do it, say no. Your supervisor has heard it before, and so have your friends, and they’ll get over it. You don’t owe anyone anything. Put yourself first.

Mental health must come first.

Putting yourself first means taking care of your mental health and making it a priority. I waited way too long to visit the Mental Health Clinic in Boynton; I wish I had gone freshman year to try out counseling and get a better idea of how to manage my stress and anxiety. There’s no shame in seeking resources for your mental health. I repeat: there’s no shame. If you need to spend a night alone in your room instead of binge-watching “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” with your roommates, that’s okay. If you need an extension on an assignment because your stressful week chewed you up and spit you out, that’s okay. If you need medication to help cope with your stress, anxiety, depression, or anything else, that’s okay, too.

Take advantage of Career Services.

The Career Services Office is another resource I wish I’d taken advantage of sooner. They have so many resources to help you find a job or internship, write a cover letter, and polish up your resume, which was definitely my favorite part of visiting. If you’re nervous about an interview or you have no idea how to start filling out an application, just go visit Career Services. Seriously.

Find a job on campus.

If you can, try to work a part-time job on campus. Campus jobs are usually much more flexible than other part-time jobs, and you usually only have to work during normal business hours, Monday through Friday, in between classes. Your supervisors understand that you’re a student first, so if you have to cram for an upcoming final, it’s usually not an issue to take a day off. If you’re extra lucky and you land a job in a quiet office or library, you can probably even get away with doing your homework or studying… and get paid for it!

Be selfish.

You’ve got to learn to put yourself first. You’re here to study what you’re passionate about and spend time with people who support your goals, whatever they might be. Be kind to others always, but be kind to yourself first. There’s research that supports the importance of being selfish in your twenties.

Get some SLEEP.

I can proudly say I have never pulled an all-nighter in college. I just don’t do it. Sleep is so important, especially after a long day of studying. Here’s the thing: If you stay up all night, you probably won’t remember much of what you studied the next day, anyway. You need sleep to keep your brain functioning throughout the day. At a certain point, you have to accept that you know what you know and just GO GET SOME SLEEP. Try for 7-9 hours a night.

Listen to your gut.

It’s ALWAYS right. When a new opportunity presents itself, your gut will let you know whether it’s a good idea or a bad idea. Your gut knows when to break up with your significant other, where to study abroad, or whether to take on another job or internship. If something is making you nervous, uncomfortable or even physically sick, step away. Say no. If you’re excited, can’t stop thinking about it, and get that ‘ready to take on the world’ feeling, say yes. Even when it’s hard, listen to that gut feeling. I promise, it’ll never lead you astray.

Erika is a proud Golden Gopher, passionate about writing, designing, and working with others. She is graduating from the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in December 2016 with double majors in Strategic Communication and German, Scandinavian, & Dutch. In her free time, Erika likes to read, practice yoga, and try her hand at cooking, in addition to binge-watching episodes of Friends.