9 Free Things to do in Minneapolis this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Let’s all take a collective sigh of relief that the semester is finally over and we can soak up some sun. Living near two amazing cities has its perks, but city living can also be expensive. You don’t have to stress out over spending too much money on the weekends, because there are tons of free things to do in the Twin Cities. Here’s a list of some of the most fun and cheap activities to do this summer.

1. Free nights at Walker Art Museum.

The Walker Art Museum is the place to go to find the best modern and contemporary visual, performing and media art. Normally admission is $14 for adults and $9 for students, but every Thursday from 5:00 to 9:00pm is free, as well as the first Saturday of each month. Plus, the famous sculpture garden has been under renovation and will have it’s grand re-opening June 3rd.

2. Visit Minneapolis Institute of Art.

For those of you who are fans of classical art, the Minneapolis Institute of Art is always free to the public. It’s an amazing deal to see all the incredible pieces of artwork by some of the world’s most famous painters, including Van Gogh, Rembrandt and Monet.

3. Visit Minnehaha Falls.

Does going to Minnehaha Falls ever get old? No, never. The park not only offers views of the falls, but also has plenty of biking paths, picnic areas and gardens. It’s a great place to take some summery pics, or take a relaxing stroll.

4. Visit Mill City Farmers Market.

The Mill City Farmers Market doesn’t just sell delicious, farm-fresh food, but it also features vendors that sell jewelry, ceramics, natural beauty products and more. Located near the Stone Arch Bridge, the market is only a short distance away from campus. This trip won’t be free if you decide to purchase any of the hundreds of available products, but if you do decide to drop some cash you will be supporting local farmers and artists.

5. Watch a water-ski show.

The Twin City River Rats have been performing shows in the Mississippi River since 1985. Today, their shows are free to the public on Thursday nights. Every year the show has a new, family-friendly theme (the 2017 theme hasn’t been revealed yet), but past themes have been Mario and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

6. Watch movies and music in the park.

Minneapolis is home to some rocking local bands, many of which participate in free concerts all over the city. Check out the Minneapolis Parks and Recreation website for the entire schedule spanning parks all over the Twin Cities. Whatever genre you like, there is an event for you.

7. Visit Como Park Zoo and Conservatory.

While the Como Zoo might not be the most extravagant zoo, it’s just a small part of this gorgeous park. If you haven’t been to the conservatory you’re missing out on some seriously gorgeous sights.

8. Free events at libraries.

I personally believe that libraries are an underutilized resource. If you’re going to be staying in Minneapolis for the summer I would highly recommend getting a library card, they’re free at the southeast location (conveniently across the street from the Library bar in Dinkytown) and the central location is just a block away from the Nicollet Mall light rail stop. The libraries feature book clubs, author talks, assistance with job searching and other programs. Plus, when you open a library card you get access to their enormous online catalog. It’s a book worm’s dream.  

9. Go to the Minneapolis Aquatennial festival.

The Minneapolis Aquatennial Festival has been an annual event since the 1940’s. Every July the city holds the festival to celebrate everything that the city has to offer. Events for the festival include a parade, an outside yoga lesson and fireworks. Check out the official website for more details on all the events.

Jillian McMahan

Minnesota '19

Jillian McMahan is a senior studying child psychology at the University of Minnesota. She aspires to one day be the Leslie Knope of her workplace. 
Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.