jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Empowering Artists Collegiettes Should Listen To and Why

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

We’re living in a time that is all about uplifting women and allowing collegiettes to come into their own and express themselves. With all the hype that followed the Women’s March in January and the hype that activism brings in general, you gotta jam out to some inspiring, badass female artists. Luckily I’ve made it easy for you to find some new jams and bring back a few of the classic empowering artists that got us to where we are today.

1. Jess Glynne

You might think you don’t know her, but you do. She’s the voice behind Clean Bandit’s “Rather Be” and her own banger “Hold My Hand.” She’s an artist from England that got her start hanging out making music with her friends. If you need a little break or mid-week confidence boost, definitely put “Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself,” “You Can Find Me,” or really anything from her album I Cry When I Laugh on repeat. It’s some fun pop that will get you up and in a good mood, and ready to conquer whatever craziness your day may bring with confidence and grace.

2. Lizzo

Good As Hell” is the new classic and the go-to hype song for reminding yourself you look amazing, and you are amazing all on your own. Lizzo’s whole mantra is about being yourself and getting down with it. She’s got a variety of music that’s mostly hip-hop but also the super dancey music you just need sometimes. Her album Big Grrrl Small World is full of empowering lyrics and jams, and “Phone” is a happy-weekend song we can all relate to.

Lizzo is also known for her social activism. Big Grrrl Small World features her song “My Skin,” which was inspired by the death of 24-year-old Jamar Clark of Minneapolis after he was involved in a fatal shooting with police officers. She has found her voice and is using her music to powerfully make her point and support the social change she believes in.

3. Lapsley

For those of you Indie-folk fans out there, Lapsley is definitely a name to look for. Her album Long Way From Home is eccentric but gives you nice vibes for studying, Facebooking or chilling out while on your commute. If you liked Lorde back in the day, definitely check her out. Lapsley just released her album in March of 2016, and just for context she’ll be 21 this August. She’s young, super hip and on her way up.

4. The Staves

The Staves are a three beautiful and talented sisters making their parents very proud. Their flawless harmonizing balances their own individual personalities and musicality to keep things interesting. If you’re really listen to the lyrics they’ll inspire you to harmonize with other gals in your life, because we all get crazy about the same little things and it’s normal. Check out “Steady,” or any songs on their album If I Was just to hear their impressive voices.

5. Fanny

Fanny is a well-known, all female rock band from the 70s. They weren’t afraid to venture into the genre of rock and roll, a traditionally male-dominated genre and from there captivated the attention of other major artists. They set the bar in the music industry to a new level and allowed for more women get into rock and not be limited to girlier, quieter genres. If you want some new chill 70s rock music to definitely give them a listen.

6.  Carole King

The women behind the Gilmore Girls theme song, “Where You Lead,” and basically a mother to us all, Carole King has graced music for decades. She reminds us the importance of the people in our lives with songs like “You’ve Got A Friend,” and effortlessly inspires us to rely on the people that are closest to us and remember that we’re never alone in our struggles. Carole King is known for her natural ease in songwriting and has written or collaborated on hundreds of songs that were adapted by other artists. It wasn’t until 1971 and her solo album Tapestry where her individual voice got the credit it deserved. She has decades worth of songs to check out and definitely has a jam for every kind of mood or a solution to your problems.

7. Jojo

Jojo is the powerful voice that is making headlines because of a long and drawn out lawsuit with her record label. The issue was resolved last year and she was finally able to drop Mad Love under a new label and since then she has essentially restarted her career. The album is a long time coming and covers everything from great and terrible relationships, working on self love and coping with the death of her father. She does it all, and her voice has gotten a lot older and wiser since 2006, but still has the same kind of pop vibe that you knew you loved.

8. Solange

Solange is the lesser-known and younger Knowles sister you might remember from from Bring It On: All Or Nothing, and has a voice comparable Beyoncé herself. Solange has written music for her sister and Destiny’s Child and had her first solo album when she was just 16 years old. Her newest album, A Seat At The Table. is critiqued in comparison to her sister’s groundbreaking album Lemonade, despite being the number one album after it’s release. After listening to both, you really can’t compare the sisters or their music. They’re both badass and express themselves in very different ways.

If you want more:

Chely Wright – First openly gay country singer and sings classic country stuff that’s your summertime guilty pleasure.

Tegan and Sara – Identical twins who write their own songs and twisted the whole cutesty harmony thing into their own thing. If you’re a Grey’s Anatomy fan,  “Where Does The Good Go” is the song you sobbed through when Meredith and Cristina dance-it-out to for the last time.

Ladyhawke –  Her album Anxiety is is relatable to anyone who has ever been stressed. She gets you, and you’ll dig this album.

Leon – Her music and whole vibe is subtly energizing. “Liar” is as angsty and good as it sounds.

Bjork – Her stuff is genre-bending and sometimes it gets a little weird, but don’t let that stop you. Listen to “Wanderlust” and get weird.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Ke$ha – You know and love her and your middle school self was more obsessed with her than you think. We all know “Timber” is the banger.

Hope you enjoy some new tunes, Collegiettes!

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.