stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Healthy Ways to Relieve Stress During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

It’s that time of year again: finals. You’ve got five exams, three papers and a presentation due over the span of five days. Come on, professors, really?

Instead of pulling your hair out, skipping a night of sleep to study or just living in denial, try these activities to cope with your inevitable stress.

1. Yoga

Don’t fret if you’re a newbie to the world of yoga. Whether you’re a self-proclaimed yogi or you can barely touch your toes, everyone can benefit from practicing yoga. According to Mayo Clinic, yoga can lower stress and anxiety by achieving peacefulness of mind and body. Positivity and sense of well-being are also amplified by yoga. Taking a study break to do yoga can lower blood pressure and heart rate, reducing your overall stress level. Interested in becoming a yogi? The Recreation and Wellness Center offers Yoga Sculpt, Fit Yoga, Gentle Yoga or Yoga Flow at least once throughout the day. Pro Tip: the Rec Center is offering free fitness classes during finals week!

2. Aromatherapy

Aromatherapy has been used for thousands of years for various remedies. Though the exact reason for aromatherapy’s success is unknown, researchers believe the essential oils emitted stimulate the brain and increase mental health, as stated by the University of Maryland Medical Center. Essential oils such as lavender, orange, sandalwood, rose, bergamot and lemon are great for stress relief and are relatively easy to find. Simply lighting a candle, incense or diffuser containing these essential oils while you’re studying can sooth your stress and help you focus.

3. Exercise

Walk it off. Run through it. Dance it out. Exercising pumps up your endorphins, improves your mood and helps you forget about the day’s stress while you #werk, according to Mayo Clinic. If the thought of running makes you cringe, there are plenty of other ways to exercise that can be a lot more fun. The Recreation and Wellness Center offers Zumba, kickboxing, belly dancing and cycling classes taught by fellow University of Minnesota students. Lace up those adorable Nikes you bought last year when you told yourself you’d start running every day and bike, walk or dance that stress away.

4. Eating well

Put those Pizza Rolls back into the freezer and listen up. Even though it’s a lot faster and easier to throw something frozen into the oven for dinner, think about the long-term effects of eating unhealthy. To manage stress for upcoming finals, try eating better. Snacking on an orange rich in Vitamin C instead of those chips in your cupboard can reduce your stress levels and boost your immune system. The University of California Los Angeles lists other nutrients that reduce stress such as: complex carbohydrates found in whole grains, fruits and veggies, magnesium in leafy greens and salmon, and omega-3 fatty acids in salmon and tuna. These super foods have been proven to reduce stress levels in your body and improve your overall well-being.

5. Volunteering

Volunteering? When you’re already cramped for time? Yes. Taking a study break and volunteering is proven to reduce stress levels and improve your mood. In their Health blog, Harvard University tells that studies on the benefits of volunteer work have shown that people who volunteer have less long-term, negative health outcomes linked to stress. There are plenty of places to volunteer your time around the Twin Cities area, whether it’s working at a homeless shelter, The Humane Society, a soup kitchen or with children at a community center. Look around online to find the right fit for you.

6. PAWS

PUPPIES. If you aren’t aware of Boynton Health Services’ Pet Away Worry & Stress (PAWS) yet, I’m so sorry for your loss. On Wednesdays from 2:30-4:30 p.m. in Boynton Health room W-120, registered therapy animals such as dogs, cats, bunnies and a chicken are available for you to pet, cry over and snuggle with for two hours. PAWS is free and open to the public! There are also West Bank locations on Thursdays from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m. and on the St. Paul campus on Tuesdays from 1:00-3:00 p.m. in the Student Center.

7. Boynton Health Services

If you or someone you know is struggling with managing their stress levels, Boynton Health Services offers free, 45 minute stress check-ins for students. Trained volunteers can coach you on how to deal with academic, personal, health and social stressors you may have and connect you with resources to help you cope with the stress of college. Boynton also offers bi-weekly de-stress meetings and activities throughout campus to promote stress management and mental health. If you are interested in these services, check out Boynton’s website here.

Only one more week to go, Gophers! Managing your stress with these seven stress reduction tips will help you kick ass during the dreaded Finals Week. So, break out that yoga mat, lavender candle, healthy breakfast or running shoes and take on your finals like the queen you are.

Burritos. Puppies. Future teacher. That's basically it.
Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!