jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Kids Activities You Can Still Do In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

1. Nebula Jars

One mason jar, paint, glitter and cotton: all the ingredients you need to make your room décor out of this world (Wow, that was a bad pun). This is a  quick and simple craft to do on a Saturday afternoon or when you’re procrastinating studying for that exam you have tomorrow. Galaxies are in space, and space is Astronomy, so you’re basically studying, right?

2. Truth or Dare Jenga

This is a college spin on a beloved classic. What better way to really get to know and embarrass your friends than a game that involves the marriage of Truth or Dare and Jenga? If you aren’t very crafty, or you’re just a broke college student, skip the Modge Podge decorations and break out the good ol’ Sharpie to write your tell-all truths and devious dares on the Jenga pieces.

3. Layered Superhero Drinks

To craft these gravity-defying drinks, you will need to add cranberry juice and Gatorade to your shopping list. For the bottom layer of both drinks start with cranberry juice and carefully pour either blue or yellow Gatorade for the top layer, depending on which character you’re getting in touch with: Captain America or your inner Ironman. Add a shot of Vodka, or three, and you’ve got your weekend drink-of-choice.

4. Yarn Wrapped Photo Mobile

If you’re one of those people that’s in touch with nature, you’ll love this photo mobile. Even if you’re like me and would rather live at the mall than in the woods, this super easy and adorable craft will be the perfect conversation piece for your room. First, find the yarn you have from that one time you tried to teach yourself how to knit and failed (just me?). Then, take a stroll through the Knoll Area on campus to find some sticks. Within no time you will have a beautiful something to display your Instagram-worthy pictures on.

5. Homemade Face Paint

What is better than Gopher Game Days and free stuff? Nothing. This homemade face paint is made from ingredients you can find already in your cabinet (food coloring, lotion and corn flour), costing you nothing to make. So go ahead, paint your roommate to look like Goldy Junior. Do it, please. That would be hilarious.

6. Perler Beads

Oh, Perler beads. Remember those? The little plastic beads that you set in a tray while carefully plotting out every step you needed to take to the ironing board like your life depended on it, as to not mess up your creation? Perler beads are still going strong in the children’s crafting world, and I don’t see why it should no longer be socially acceptable to use them post-elementary school. Perler beads can be used to customize your keys, make jewelry, fancy up your school supplies and so much more. Don’t let people tell you that just because you’re in your 20s you can no longer enjoy the wonderful world of Perler beads.

Burritos. Puppies. Future teacher. That's basically it.
Lauren is the Her Campus Correspondent at the University of Minnesota where she is currently studying Strategic Communications with and emphasis in Public Relations. Lauren also works for a national nonprofit organization called Miss Amazing that focuses on empowering women with disabilities by hosting programs offering the opportunity to develop life long skills, build confidence, express themselves, and create meaningful relationships. In addition to her work with Her Campus and Miss Amazing, Lauren also works as the Public Relations and Branding Coordinator at Metropolitan Salons and Spas and as an assistant at a law firm in downtown Minneapolis. When she isn't busy working, Lauren enjoys reading, shopping, spending time with her family and friends, and of course watching New Girl. Lauren is an enthusiast for many things: coffee, Kate Spade, office supplies, home décor, women's empowerment, and pugs, just to name a few. Lauren's favorite quote (right now) is, "Give me some wifi, a pair of heels, some coffee and watch me make the world go round." HCXO!