5 Reasons You Need to Try the Diva Cup

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Minnesota chapter.

Being a woman is awesome, but with that comes a few things we have to deal with that men don’t. At the top of that list is, you guessed it, periods. A monthly reminder that we can conquer anything if we can deal with the cramps, headaches, bleeding and hormones that our periods bring. What if someone invented an alternative to pads and tampons that could make our periods a little less stressful and had a handful of other positive effects? Well, someone did, and it’s called the DivaCup. The DivaCup is a menstrual cup, which means it’s an alternative feminine hygiene product. The DivaCup can be an intimidating idea, but here are five reasons why you should try it out:

1. You Don’t Have to Go Out of Your Way

Just like tampons and pads, the DivaCup is available at a store near you. For University of Minnesota students, the DivaCup can be found at the Whole Foods on Hennepin, the Seward Market on West Bank and the CVS in Stadium Village! Don’t have access to these stores? You can also buy the DivaCup online!

2. The DivaCup offers up to 12-hour protection

It’s such a bummer, but tampons and pads simply don’t offer long-term protection. Tampons must be changed roughly every four hours, and pads must be changed even more frequently. Since the DivaCup is made of silicon and uses suction it will prevent leaking if it’s inserted properly. Twelve-hour protection means you could only have to change it out twice a day. Think about it. Less work for you. On that same note…

3. Odor Protection

The DivaCup’s innovative design actually seals itself inside the walls of your vaginal canal. It sounds weird, but this prevents unwanted leaking and embarrassing odor. Dealing with the symptoms of your period is hard enough; the added stress of worrying about odor is something that you shouldn’t have to deal with, and thanks to the DivaCup, you won’t have to!

4. The DivaCup is Eco-Friendly

The DivaCup avoids unnecessary waste. On the other hand, Tampons and pads are literal waste. And on top of the disposable quality of tampons and pads, they’re individually packaged which creates even more waste. A woman goes through approximately 20 tampons per cycle. That’s a lot of waste. It is suggested that the DivaCup will need to be replaced at least once a year, but it’s made of silicon which is biodegradable.

5. Your Wallet Will Thank You

At first, the price of a DivaCup seems overwhelming. Forty bucks for a hunk of silicon?! But, since the DivaCup is reusable, unlike a tampon or pad, you will save more money than you thought imaginable. It’s projected that women spend up to two hundred dollars a year on feminine hygiene products. That’s insane!!! Also, if you follow the DivaCup on Facebook and Twitter, you might just be able to snag an awesome promotional deal! What will you buy with the money you save? A new pair of shoes? Textbooks? 17 burritos at Chipotle? A DivaCup for your best friend? The possibilities are endless!

The DivaCup sparks many questions and conversations. How does it work? Is it hard to use? Will it be gross? You can read all you want about the DivaCup online, and when you’re sitting at home staring at their website, think about the five perks listed above. You’ll never know the true benefits of the DivaCup until you try it out for yourself!

Anna Rosin

Minnesota

I'm from St. Louis, Missouri and I'm currently going to school at the University of Minnesota, located in Minneapolis.