Why You Should Make Puerto Rico Your Summer Vacay Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

When it comes to being a college student, we work hard all year long getting the best grades we can get, constantly working to keep up with our Starbucks lifestyle and staying on top of various projects. All we want to do is go on vacation! When summertime hits, that is all we can think about… and when and where are we going to go? How much can we afford to splurge?

Well my fellow collegiates, I have the anwser that will blow your wildest dreams out of the water, take a trip to the beautiful island of Puerto Rico! Not only is it only a quick three hour flight, it is affordable and did I mention GORGEOUS! Let me convince you why you need to make this your vacation destination this summer.

First and foremost, you do not need a passport to visit the island. Since the island remains as a commonwealth of the United States, it does not require one. So dock that off of your list of worries because it is irrelevant!

Next, the island is afforable to travel to compared to a trip to Hawaii. The average cost of a ticket is estimated around $340-$400 which is decent considering you won’t regret paying that once you arrive to the carribean island. Tip: If you fly through Southwest, for one luggage bag you dont need to pay any additional cost and you can bring up to two carry-on bags. 

Another awesome fun-fact is that the island is famous for its beautiful and breathtaking views. This definitely makes it a hot-spot for honeymoons and vacation trips since it is tourist-friendly and boasts many sight-seeing opportunities. Natural waterfalls, plenty of rivers, mountainous terrain, sandy beaches and tropical rainforests are only a few to mention. These places would make your summer photo-ops look too good to be true.

Not to mention the weather is tropical marine which makes it perfect 80 degree weather. This will allow you to get that perfect summer glow!

It has the dreamy combination of food, fun and culture which would make it even BETTER to try some new things. There are many popular foods that Puerto Ricans are very proud of and there are many roadside stands throughout local towns that you can try. Prepare to be swept off of your feet and into a food coma! They also have multiple music festivals throughout the local towns in in the summertime that feature local artists and other artists that have gained popularity in the latino culture. It would be like the local town fairs that we have here in Lancaster County–the entire town joins together to eat, get on the rides and play games. Some fun things to do include:

• Spend the day at one of the many gorgeous beaches.
  • Going for a swim in the river.
  • Visit some of the well-known places for cool pictures.
  • Go zip-lining through the mountains.
  • Enjoy the nightlife by visiting some of the high-end bars and music venues. 
  • Take a visit to see the capitol, San Juan, which harbors a lot of history and battlegrounds you can visit.
  • Take a stroll through the various rainforests.

Lastly, the culture is so diverse and unique it makes you feel lucky to be immersed in something so beautiful. From the food, to the music, to the scenic areas, the culture as a whole is what is truly special about Puerto Rico. The island natives know what it’s like to enjoy life on a daily basis. Family and friends are treasured and sacred to making the most on the beautiful island.

If you are looking for the ultimate place for adventure that doesnt break the bank this summer, Puerto Rico is your best destination!

Angelica Lopez

Millersville

Hello my fellow Collegiate ladies! I am currently a Senior at Millersville University studying communications and public relations. I joined Her Campus in January 2014 as a contributing writer. It was the best decision I ever made in my college career because it gave me excellent opportunities and a chance to meet an awesome group of collegiate women just like me! I have served as publicity director and I am currently the vice president of the Millersville Chapter. I am a lover of fashion, photography, all things make-up related and creative.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3