Why Quitting My Part-Time Job My Last Semester Was the Best Thing I’ve Done My Whole College Career

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Four score and one semester over, graduation is almost here. Remember those days when you didn’t have to worry about your major, or trying to play “catch up” for graduation? Well the time has finally come, and the very last semester of college is halfway over. Although most of us are used to having anxiety attacks at least once a week, there is one thing we’re forgetting to keep in mind: time is rapid, and there’s no way of getting  it back. That’s why, after four years of sleepless nights, bad grades, and terrible moods from late night working shifts, I finally quit my waitressing job to focus on personal development my last semester of college. Here’s why it’s the best thing I’ve done in all my college career:

1. Do you know what breathing is?

Breathing. Everyone does it, but as a college student working part time and stressing full time, allows you to forget what you should really be focusing on. When I say breathing, I literally mean it. Quitting my job has allowed me to have so much free time, that I can finally calm down school stress by practicing yoga and learning about meditation. I’ve also been able to get up a lot earlier, which has made my days longer.  As Buddha and the Law of Attraction say, ”The mind is everything. What you think, you will become.” Clearing your mind is the first step to the path of success, especially when you’re getting ready for post-graduation. Yoga and meditation are skills that you must practice, but you’ll have for a lifetime. The $50 I made two weeks ago on spaghetti night? It was gone by the next morning.

2. Focusing on CAREER skills

One of the best things that led to my decision of quitting my job was when I got offered an awesome internship, and started gaining the skills that I’ve wanted to focus on all throughout college. As ambitious and optimistic as I am, I still believe that communication skills such as writing, researching, and planning are so important to any career that someone may choose (that’s why we’re in college, duh). But then there are those of us that just don’t know how to get those skills that we need, or don’t have the time to meet with certain organizations because of work. Then begin the anxieties. Thankfully, internships are a great way to connect with amazing people that open your mind up to more ideas and opportunities. But the best thing about it, is that you learn more about yourself and the type of career that you want in your life, as well as the type of career you don’t want in your life. Internships are so important in college, especially right before graduation so that you can at least have an idea of what road you’re going to take after graduation day.

3. Weekends OFF

The best part about not being a waitress anymore, is that my nights and weekends are completely open. It’s kind of weird actually. But it’s not about having nights off to go out drinking. The important benefit that I found from having nights and weekends off is that you get to connect and network with people that you never thought you’d be able to. As a college student, I joined a local organization for (Lancaster-based) young professionals.  It’s great because you get to meet and network new people who may or may not be in fields you’re interested in. The best part about it is that everyone is there for professional development, networking, and gaining leadership skills, so you’re not alone. There’s also more time to not only join organizations that you’ve always wanted to, but start new ones with people you never thought you’d talk to in college. If I’ve learned anything in college, it’s that college is about connecting, networking, and discovering. Having time to try new things, make mistakes and meet new people allows you to grow as an individual and expand your mind.

4. TRAVEL and LEARN

The other nice thing about not worrying about my waitressing job, is that I literally have time to do what I want. For instance (as I sit on the Florida beach writing this), I was able to plan out my next three traveling trips while being on a budget. If it wasn’t for quitting my job, I wouldn’t be able to travel to a national public relations conference at the end of the month, or attend College Fashion Week in NYC. Getting out of your comfort zone allows you to figure out ways to do what you want, without risking your future, but instead strengthen your chances of success. Through traveling, you get to learn how to be an adult, interact with other people, budget your accounts, but also see how other people live and learn from them. Traveling can give you a “spark” that will allow you to learn about yourself and others.

5. GETTING CREATIVE

You may be thinking that it’s impossible for you to fully enjoy your last semester of college when you have jobs, internships, and debt to worry about. But it’s a lot less stressful when you have a plan. I never planned on not working throughout college. It’s not as easy to save money as it is to spend it, but there are ways to get make money without having to work crazy hours. For instance, I enjoy reselling things I find at thrift stores. Sites like eBay, Mercari, and poshmark are great for getting creative and selling things you never thought people would need. It’s crazy how much money people spend online. If you’re not into thrifting, I suggest consigning your closet. There are so many consignment stores around Millersville, in fact, Lancaster is actually known for antique and thrift stores. If you need quick cash, I suggest looking into it. Etsy is also a great way to build up and manage your own business. Although all things sold must be a form of art or craft, Millersville is very well known for it’s creative students. This is a great place to start selling your handmade art and show off your creativity to the world.

One other suggestion is pay for things with cash. The reason behind this philosophy is because you actually control how much money you spend, and there is a secret: saving your change is a great way to save your money for emergencies. Did I mention my next bill will be paid in quarters? Whenever I get the chance, I purposely try to make change so I can save it. Once you get started and see how much money you can actually save, you’ll want to keep saving.

In conclusion, quitting your stressful part-time job is not for everyone, but if you have a plan for an incoming source of money, I suggest it. It can be more beneficial to you to quit your job, as long as you have a plan for your future. Mine for instance was to gain as much knowledge and skills in my future career field as possible, and in order to do so, I had to find an internship and plan out what I thought would be beneficial for myself. Even if you can’t survive without working now, you should find a job that allows flexible hours so that you can focus on school. It’s hard to learn about yourself and your life goals when you’re working for someone else and not getting enough work and school life balance. Have a plan for your future and follow your heart. It’ll work out.

Monna V. Tayts

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3