Why Breast Cancer Awareness Is More Important Than Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

October brings joy to people for many reasons; the air is cooler, the leaves are changing and Halloween is quickly approaching. Since the obsession with fall has taken over social media, a lot of people forget the importance of October, which is breast cancer awareness month.

I love fall as much as the next person, but there is something that is much more important than finding the perfect Halloween costume; taking care of your body and educating yourself about breast cancer. Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide.  According to the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc., One in eight women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. With a statistic so high, the amount of education on college campuses is so low.

Breast cancer awareness is much more than #FeelYourBoobies and #SaveTheTatas. Educating both women and men about the signs and symptoms of breast cancer will save so many lives. We need to educate our youth about breast cancer and how to detect it. We need to wave away all the myths associated. We need to make sure women are getting mammograms. We need to all be aware of the warning signs and symptoms associated with breast cancer.

The most common signs and symptoms for women include:

• A change in how the breast or nipple feels
  • A change in the breast or nipple appearance
  • Nipple Discharge that is clear or bloody
  • Lumps, thickening of the breast and nipple tenderness
  • Dimpling in the breast

The most common signs and symptoms for men include:

• Thickening of breast tissue
  • Changes to skin around the breast
  • Changes to the nipple
  • Nipple Discharge

Thankfully, I go to a school that dedicates an entire event to breast cancer awareness in both women AND men. Breast-A-Ville just held its 7th annual event at Millersville University of Pennsylvania. I have been attending this event ever since I was a freshman. During this event, students learn how to give a self-breast examination, play games, answer trivia questions and speak to many local agencies involved with breast cancer awareness and prevention. This year, Her Campus Millersville got to spread breast cancer awareness and prevention during Breast-A-Ville. I have learned so much through this event, and every year my eyes are opened up more and mroe about how common breast cancer is in the United States.

No, sleeping in an underwire bra will not give you breast cancer. Nor will breast implants, having an abortion, not eating organic fruits and vegetables, or bruising your breasts. Identifying these myths will increase your knowledge about breast cancer. You know your body better than anyone, so please know how to take care of it. Self-exams should be done once a month, there’s even an entire guide on how to give one here!

Your body is a temple, so it deserves the love and care you are giving it. So ladies, and men, please, feel your boobies!

HCXO, Jordan

*All images courtesy of National Breast Cancer Foundation and Pinterest

Jordan Ettien

Millersville '17

A recent 2017 grad from Millersville University of Pennsylvania! I hold a bachelor's of science in business administration with a concentration in marketing! I am addicted to Starbucks, cute dogs and candles from Bath and Body Works! When I am not working as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus or as a Marketing Manager for my full time job, you can find me at the gym teaching Pilates!