This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Tis the season for turning off the lights, cuddling under blankets, watching horrifying movie after horrifying movie, and then staying up all night afraid to sleep. Whether you love being scared or just like watching movies with your friends to celebrate the Halloween season, horror movie marathons are a great way to spend your Friday night. I believe there is a science for the perfect movie marathon. Whether you follow my list or make your own kind of movie marathon night, don’t forget to pop some popcorn and invite your best friends over for a night of frights!

1. A Truly Scary Movie

To start off your night in a truly terrifying fashion, choose a movie full of jump scares and tension that will have you on the edge of your seat for the entire movie. These are the kinds of movies that leave you afraid of every dark corner in your room. I often find myself having to sleep with my lights on after watching a movie like this. This is a great way to start off your marathon because it will most definitely get you into the spooky Halloween spirit. Here is a list of movies that will leave your heart racing!

–Hush

–It (2017)

–Sinister

–Insidious

–Scream

2. A Psychological Thriller

Next up on the marathon is a psychological thriller. A psychological thriller may not be the first thing you think of when you think “scary movie”, but these movies are often disturbing and unsettling. These kinds of movies make you think just a little more about reality and the way your brain interprets things. Often full of plot twists, these movies keep you on the edge of your seat while not necessarily haunting your dreams. Some of my personal favorites are…

–Black Swan

–A Cure For Wellness

–House at the End of the Street

–Silence of the Lambs

3. An Oldie but Goodie

The third kind of movie to watch is a classic. A lot of the classic horror movies that pioneered the genre aren’t exactly “scary” by today’s standards, but they still have that creepy factor that works perfectly in a horror movie marathon. While these movies won’t leave you shaking, they have great plots and famous quotes that you’re bound to recognize. Plus, it’s always interesting to see movies that inspired the terrifying ones that are coming out nowadays. Some of these classics are…

–The Shining

–Psycho

–Carrie (1976)

–The Exorcist

4. A Classic Feel Good Movie 

In order to prevent nightmares that the movies full of scary clowns, blood, and jump scares, end your night with a feel good Halloween movie. This kind of movie will ease your nerves and provide you with some much needed laughs. By this point in the night, you’ll be getting sleepy and these lighthearted classics will definitely make you much happier, just in case you’re still shaken by a movie from earlier in the night! A lot of us grew up watching these movies, so that familiar feeling of happy nostalgia is bound to lighten the mood. Here are some suggestions!

–Hocus Pocus

–Halloweentown

–Nightmare Before Christmas

–Ghostbusters

Whether you only watch the feel good Halloween movies out there or watch all super scary ones, have a great movie night! Make sure to wear your comfiest pajamas and hold hands with your friends during all the scary moments! If you’re ever stuck without any movie ideas, just do a simple Google search and tons of suggestions pop up. Happy Halloween collegiates!

HCXO, Hannah

*All images courtesy of Giphy

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3