MU welcomes the new Charles and Anita Winter Visual & Performing Arts Center!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Goodbye, annoying fences that scattered the university walkways!

Goodbye, extra-long trips to class due to said fences!

Goodbye, Jefferson (the building which was home to the music majors for two years, which also used to be a daycare center)!

Hello, Winter Visual and Performing Arts Center! Named for Charles R. and Anita B. Winter, long-time donors to Millersville, the WVPAC is a new, highly anticipated, state-of-the-art performance space located between Stayer and Gaige Hall. The building is 59,452 square feet and includes an auditorium, concert hall, recital hall, dance studio, art gallery, recording studio, several practice rooms, a piano lab, and a green room and dressing room. Whew! 

The “VPAC” is stunning – I can’t find a better fitting word. From the hallways to the study space (and even the bathrooms), this building has been a breath of fresh air to the students who used to find themselves herded into Jefferson, which was no place for choir rehearsals, recording, or other ensemble rehearsals.

The new building, whether you’re a music major or not, is truly something to see. The dedication ceremony will be held on October 12 at 4 p.m. and if you haven’t walked through the building yet, I suggest you check it out on your way to class. We are lucky it belongs to Millersville! 

Joie Formando

Millersville

Joie Formando is an English major at Millersville University, with a concentration in Writing Studies and a minor in journalism and music. She loves to write and cook (which is a work in progress) and is looking forward to "becoming a grown-up" post-graduation! She is the Arts and Culture Editor of MU's newspaper, The Snapper, and an active photographer-in-training. She can play a few chords on the guitar (but you'll never catch her singing for anyone) and her biggest dream is to move to London and work for a children's book publishing company.