MU Survival Guide: Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Well everyone, it is finally here: Spring Break. That one week that comes about smack in the middle of the spring semester that allows for a much needed hiatus from school work, dorm rooms and just college in general. It’s that one week where you either go back to home-cooked meals, catch up on sleep and just enjoy your family. Or you pack your bags and go somewhere sandy where fruity drinks and bikinis are the only way to go. So I’ve made a Survival Guide to Spring Break for those who just have no idea what they’re going to do for a week.
[pagebreak]
For those who are heading home…

Make Everyday a Fun Day
Think of spring break as the week to do nothing but get back to you and those people you haven’t seen since you left for school. So why not make each day something different and exciting. Make a Spa Aay and go with your mom or best friend you haven’t seen in a while to get a mani/pedi. Make a Shop-Til-You-Drop Day and hit up the outlets or mall to freshen up your wardrobe for the remainder of the semester. Make a Catch-Up Day and hang out with your family and friends. You can make up anything you’d like, just to keep things interesting.

Relax and Regroup
Spring Break is that time where you can get yourself back together. Face it, school takes over, relationships take over and having fun takes over. With all that stuff taking over we sort of don’t have time for ourselves. So take time for you. Get your hair done. Watch Netflix or rent movies from the Red Box and make a lazy day of it. Finish a book you’ve been too busy to get to, I love The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and The Help is another really good recommendation. Just sit back, relax, and get back to you.

Road Trip
Now good old Millersville is a state school after all, so if your friends aren’t staters, then you could actually visit them at school. Since they might not be at home, your Spring Break gives you the perfect opportunity for a road trip. But if you are over the college scene, take a day trip to a random place you’ve never been. Go to NYC for show or a day of shopping. Or get your most bedazzled outfit, spray on that fake tan and make a trip to the Dirty Jers, a.k.a. Atlantic City. Go with a friend or family member, make some fabulous playlists for the trip, and make sure to take lots of pictures.
[pagebreak]
For those who are travelling….

Plan, Plan, Plan
Alright, it may be a little too late to plan a beach getaway, but if you’ve got a few more years here at Millersville, start planning your ideal Spring Break vacation. Research different spots, check for package deals, look for all-inclusive resorts, and most importantly, save your pennies. You can have the best trip ever with friends, so get to figuring out where you want to go and then plan it up for next year.

Be a Do-Gooder
Sophomore year I went with a group to help work on houses affected by Hurricane Katrina in Long Beach, Mississippi. It was probably one of the best decisions of my life. I had an amazing Spring Break, met people I’ll never forget, and also learned how to use major power tools. Knowing that you’ve helped someone while having a really life-changing experience is something everyone should do at least once. So find an organization that will bring you somewhere unexpected where someone needs your help.

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.