pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Member of the Week: Dezi Somerville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Meet Her Campus’ President, Dezi Somerville! Dezi is a Speech Communication major with a concentration in Communication Studies. She is graduating this May with honors and will be working at a reputation management firm in Lancaster city after graduation! Another fun fact about this beauty is that she is getting married this coming September to the love of her life, Jordan Donaldson!

Dezi has been a member of Her Campus for four semesters, all of which have been spent on the executive board! She ran for secretary her very first meeting and was voted in. She served in the position of secretary for two semesters and then was elected as President in April 2016. Dezi seemed to immediately love Her Campus and everything that came along with the club. When asked what she loves about this club she stated, “I love Her Campus so much because it has always felt like a second home/family to me. As soon as I joined, I made some lifelong friends who I still see — and will even be working with — to this day. I also love the way Her Campus empowers women, provides them with the resources they need to chase their dreams, and creates a sense of sisterhood amongst all its members (even those overseas)!” 

When asked what she hoped she had accomplished during her time as Millersville’s Her Campus President, Dezi responded with, “I truly hope that I created a supportive environment where everybody feels comfortable with sharing their ideas and collaborating on various projects. I hope I opened doors for partnerships with other organizations — both student-run and otherwise. Most of all, I hope every member of the organization has been made to feel welcomed and accepted into our little media sisterhood.” As you can tell, Dezi has been a hard-working and supportive president to the Her Campus members.

Once she passes the presidential torch down to Jordan Ettien, Dezi hopes her time as president would leave a positive impact on the sisterhood. She hopes “to leave behind a group of strong, dedicated girls who want to see the organization grow and its members reach their maximum potential. My biggest hope is that the new executive board brings our chapter back up to Pink Level. However, my biggest dream is that the organization continues to make a positive impact on the lives of girls (and boys!) on campus for years to come. After all, what matters the most to me is that Millersville’s love and passion for Her Campus continues to grow, no matter our chapter ranking.”

Dezi has been a fantastic President to our club and, sadly, her time as president is coming to a close in a few short weeks. As much as all the members are going to miss her, Dezi is going to miss our bonding dates over coffee, study sessions, and the hilariously fun meetings that were held every other Wednesday in Hash. Sure, we had serious meetings too but, to be completely honest, we are not a serious group. We love to joke around and laugh at each other – it is what gets us through the rest of the week. Dezi stated in her interview with me that she “has never laughed harder than I have with these girls. Being a member of Her Campus Millersville was the highlight of my college career. Leaving this organization will be the hardest thing I’ve ever done.” 

As much as she is going to miss us, we are all going to miss her too! We hope she continues to be the #bosslady we all know her to be and lead a successful life and career once she officially crosses the stage and receives her diploma in May. 

We love you and know you will go far in life!

*All images courtesy of Dezi Somerville

Elizabeth Nace

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3