Meet Samantha Dowdy, Meteorology Major and Emergency Management Minor

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Samantha Dowdy is a senior here at Millersville University. She is majoring in Meteorology and is obtaining a minor in Emergency Management. I was fortunate enough to be able to ask her about why she chose to study these fields, as well as inquire about some general safety tips. Here’s what Samantha has to say about staying safe and prepared!

What is Emergency Management?

“Emergency Management deals with the organization and management of the response, preparedness and recovery of different hazards and emergencies.”

Who are you pictured with in the photo?

“That’s me with Glenn “Hurricane” Schwartz. He’s a meteorologist on NBC10. I met him when I was 11, and then again last year. I have his book and he’s an idle of mine.”

What made you want to get a minor in Emergency Management?

“I’ve always known I wanted to be a meteorologist since I was about 3-4 years old, and it wasn’t until 2011 when a tornado hit Joplin, Missouri; and while there was so much negativity, like the death toll and destruction, there was an even bigger sense of community to help the victims and their families. I realized I wanted to be a part of that.”

Meteorology and Emergency Management is a strong combination, what do you plan on doing for your career? What careers are available?

“Like I said before, I always wanted to be a Meteorologist but I knew I did not want to be a TV personnel. I wanted to experience weather first hand. Ideally, I would like to be a professional storm chaser and collect data from these storms to help create better warning systems to help save more lives when disaster strikes.”

Why should everyone consider majoring or minoring in Emergency Management; even if their major seems unrelated?

“Emergency Management covers a broad range of fields. It’s important for everyone to know what to do in any kind of emergency situation, especially when people’s lives are at risk. Emergencies and accidents happen. It’s important to not panic and act accordingly so that the situation can be resolved faster and safer.”

What are some precautionary tips that everyone should take as we enter the colder weather season?

“Make sure that heaters are serviced before the cold hit and that if you have a chimney, be sure that it is clear of debris so that carbon monoxide and smoke do not back into the house.”

Are there certain precautionary tips specifically for cars and travel in the cold?

“One important thing is to be prepared for anything. I always carry an emergency car kit, rock salt, bottled water and blankets in your car. Rock salt can be used to melt ice if they are spinning on ice. You can also use your cars floor mats.”

Like Samantha said, emergencies will always be prevalent and it is important that you are always ready. Consider a minor in Emergency Management! You never know when it will come in handy.

*Image courtesy of Samantha Dowdy

Alyssa Dicker

Millersville '20

Alyssa will be graduating in May 2020 with her bachelors in Communications-Public Relations. She also is double minoring in English-Journalism and Marketing. Drawing inspiration from her relationship since 2014, Alyssa's favorite topics to write about are relationships and relationship advice. After school, she is getting married in October to her fiance Brandon, an ICU nurse at UPMC Pinnacle. Professionally, she hopes to work somewhere where she can be an advocate for children. 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3