This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

How old are you? 21

What’s your hometown? I was born and raised in Lancaster, Pa. Both of my parents and my older brother immigrated to the United States from the Dominican Republic in the early 90s, along with much of my extended family.

Twitter and/or Instagram Handle? Twitter: @Chula2k12; Instagram: @chula2k12

What’s your major? What’s your minor? I am a dual major in business administration with concentrations in finance and accounting.

Why did you choose your major? I have always liked numbers and math. But when it came down to choosing a major, I couldn’t see myself just studying mathematic theory. I needed something with a bit more substance, with a little more meaning.  I know that sounds a little vain, but I have always liked money. Ever since I was a child I liked playing with money and learning about family businesses. So when it came time to decide on a major, I figured finance was the right way to go. Later on I decided to add accounting because I enjoyed it in my earlier required courses.

What led you to choose Millersville University? I honestly never planned on coming to Millersville. Some of my aunts had attended and I felt like I was already so used to the campus and it was too close to home. I really wanted to get out of Lancaster. But when all of my other plans fell through, I knew I still had MU to fall back on. I ended up applying to Millersville University in June of 2012 and it has turned out to be one of the best decisions I’ve made.

Are you involved in any clubs/organizations here on campus? During my time here at Millersville University, I have been involved in the gospel choir and the Society on Latino Affairs (SOLA).

What led you to join those clubs/organizations? The first club I joined was the gospel choir. Coming from the gospel choir at McCaskey High School, I just wanted that family environment of fellowship and worship. I also joined 8 2 the Bar, a jazz choir, in my freshman year. I didn’t want to lose my musical background and performing was awesome. I first attended a SOLA meeting because one of my friends invited me. I thought it would be cool to meet other Latinos on campus. To my surprise, SOLA was not just your typical Latino club, it included and embraced people of all different cultures and I think that realization is what drew me to remain involved in the organization.

Have you held any leadership roles?  I was the student council vice president in high school. At Millersville, I was the treasurer for SOLA last year and this year I’m the president.

What have you gained from participating in SOLA? Aside from gaining many leadership skills such as time management, teamwork and accountability, I’d have to say that the most important thing I’ve gained from participating in SOLA are the people I have met. Many of the meaningful relationships I have created at MU arose from SOLA. I have also gained more confidence speaking to and connecting with people.

Do you have any hobbies? My hobbies include singing, dancing, reading for pleasure, watching movies, hanging out with my friends and family, having spontaneous adventures, traveling, attending concerts and comedy shows and riding motorcycles.

What are your plans after graduation? I am not completely sure about what I want to do after graduation, but I am planning on working towards becoming a Certified Public Accountant. One thing that I am sure of is that I won’t be moving out of my house right after graduation. Most people want to get away from their parents as soon as they can afford to live on their own. However, I know how hard my parents have worked to get me to where I am and I want to be able to give back to them. After graduation, I plan on staying at home for one or two more years to help my parents pay off their house. I want to make sure that they will be okay before I start building for myself.

What will you miss most about Millersville? I think what I will miss the most will be the people I have met here. Some of my professors and peers have made huge impacts in my life and for that I will be forever grateful.

Do you have a mantra you live by? If so, what is it? I don’t really have a mantra that I live by, but if I had to choose, it would just be to keep moving forward. I have always had a hunger for success, but my biggest fear is also failure. Throughout my college career I have learned that failure isn’t always a bad thing and you learn from it; if you don’t try due to the fear of failure, you never give yourself the opportunity for success. A quote from Andres Lara states, “There’s not such a thing as standing still, for the world is always moving; if you’re standing still, you are being left behind.”

Kasandra Mackay

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3