I Can’t Stand This Generation. Take Me Back to the 90s!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Like most of us here at HCM, we were born in an era where it was cool to be exactly who you were without judgment, ridicule or self-doubt. I grew up in a time not filled with Instagram, Facebook or Twitter, but playing hop scotch, four square, and Skip-It with my closest friends who lived in my neighborhood. Selfies weren’t important, filters didn’t exist and it was completely fine to wake up “like this” imperfect, sleepy-eyed and discombobulated.

Even though times have changed (some would say for the worst) it does not mean that we should leave those 90s memories in the past. In fact, I compiled a list of memories in the past that we all should definitely bring back to the future!

1. Bedazzle your favorite article of clothing

Back in the day every little girl had some type of bedazzled piece of clothing. Whether it was a pair of boots, a baseball cap or your favorite dingy retro jean jacket, something that you owned had jewels on them. Let’s bring it back!  With a more modern and sophisticated approach, we can all rock a sparkling pair of clothing without looking like our eight-year-old selves again.

2. Dear diary…

One of my fondest memories growing up was writing in my diary. I remember having to hide my little pink journal (with the lock and key attached) from my older brother. I swore to take those secrets written in that book to the grave! Today, we are so caught up in our everyday lives that we forget to write down our embarrassing moments and our MCMs (man crush Mondays). We tend to post all of our intimate feelings for social networks to see when we should really be writing in our diaries!

3. Predict the future, over and over again.

If you never played a game of MASH, then you weren’t born in the 90s! Bringing back this game in today’s time is simple, and could be really fun with a group of optimistic friends. Instead of throwing that piece of paper with all your life’s aspirations on them, turn those circled answers into a reality (the good one’s anyway. Aim for that Mercedes Benz, that house in the hills, and Gerald (your husband that you will be having 21 children with). Go for it!

4. Go to a book fair

Remember when your mom use to send you to school with money for the book fair? You would walk into class with your paper pamphlet with the circled books that you knew you were going to buy, feeling like the man of the year! What ever happened to those book fair things? Well, we can get that memory back by traveling to your local bookstore and purchasing some books (they still make books, ya know).

5. Enjoy the little things in life

Today everything is so fast paced and on-demand that we tend to forget about the little things that matter to us the most. Family, friends, and loved ones should get the same amount of attention (if not more) than brainstorming about your next greatest yik-yak post should get. Take it easy, and enjoy life.

Amirah Mikell

Millersville

Amirah Mikell is currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Speech Communications with a specialization in Public Relations at the University of Millersville Pennsylvania. She is a senior enrolled in media law, entrepreneurship and public relation courses. Mikell has interned with the Lancaster Mediation Center which is a non-profit organization where she practiced public relations writing skills, coordinating events, and writing organizational intakes. She currently holds a managerial position at a women's boutique in Lancaster where she performs daily task such as keeping track of sales, implementing visual enhancements, and promoting positivity throughout the company.She is serving as Vice President for Her Campus which focuses on creative writing for collegiettes.. Mikell is expected to graduate in the Spring of 2016, where she will go on in furthering her career as a public relations professional.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3