How to Rock Vintage Trends Without Looking Outdated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. Grease. Sex and the City. All of these movies have made fashion icons out of Audrey, Marilyn, the Pink Ladies, and Carrie Bradshaw. So what do these diverse characters have in common? These ladies all embrace the style of their era. Now, more than ever, girls are becoming inspired to raid thrift stores and their great-grandmother’s closet. So how can you break out of the, “I’ll just throw on sweatpants and Uggs for class” routine? Here are nine ways to break the mold:

1910’s
Victorian era style may seem impossible to integrate into your closet with large, elaborate hats and fancy floor-length dresses. However, adding elegant details is the best way to go. Pair a form-fitting pencil dress with a longer cardigan and add a thin belt for a classy and feminine look. For an easy way to add pizzazz to a standard jeans and tank combo, consider adding a simple accessory: headbands! A frugal way to add drama, they can be found at stores like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe. They come in all colors and details, such as feathers, jewels and bows.

1920’s
The 1920’s were all about fun and friskiness. Women decided to rebel, and the best way they knew how was through their clothing. While it’s not practical to wear a short fringe dress for everyday attire, there are many other ways in which to embrace your inner flapper. Patterned tights are today’s answer to fishnets. They look great with flat boots and a neutral colored ensemble. Top off this look with a long strand of faux pearls, another 20’s staple. Costume jewelry also looks great with a little black dress!

1930’s
Even though the 30’s were best known for the Great Depression, women still worked with what they had to look great. Round-toed shoes add a cute touch to a knee length skirt or a basic pair of jeans. Wear a straight skirt in a muted color (such as black or brown) with a turtleneck or a shirt with a Peter Pan collar for an adorable secretary vibe.

1940’s This was an era when women were catapulted into the workforce and therefore had to have some practicality in their wardrobes. A button-down blouse with a bow at the neck adds a classy touch to jeans or a skirt. Headscarves or kerchiefs keep hair away from your face and add carefree fun. They are easy to find and reasonably priced at vintage and thrift stores.

1950’s
Dresses were the main focus of this decade of style. They came in all kinds of prints and colors to suit every woman’s taste. The easiest way to achieve this look is to wear a wrap dress or shirtdress. These functional wardrobe staples can be dressed down with flats or dressed up with heels.

1960’s For women, many molds were broken for fashion in this decade of nuances. The mod and hippie looks were the biggest trends and continue to inspire designers today. Geometric prints add a mod look whether on a handbag, top, or dress. Neutrals are your best bet to match with funky prints. For a modern hippie look, try flared jeans with a form-fitting top to balance the shapes. Platform shoes have also been modified to wear as eveningwear.

1970’s
“Flashy” was definitely the key word in the 70’s. Miniskirts are a trend that has obviously been repeated to this day. Wear them with tights and a sweater for a preppy look. With the aerobics craze, leotards were worn as casual wear. But don’t go overboard by pairing them with leggings! Instead, wear a fun printed one with jeans and a cardigan.

1980’s 
So, I’m not going to advise you to use a whole can of hairspray or curl your bangs when it comes to an 80s look…but be inspired by the Madonna flick Desperately Seeking Susan, in which she shows off her signature look. Stacks of bangles can be dressed up or down, as well as the iconic Wayfarer style sunglasses, popularized by Ray-Ban. Even (gasp!) shoulder pads can be worn correctly. Pair a black blazer with amped-up shoulders with leggings and booties or a mini and heels for a downtown Manhattan artist vibe.

1990’s The neon colors from this era are back with a vengeance! For a shocking look, pair these colors with black, and for day, with mute neutrals, such as tan. Penny loafers and polos will always be in style, they are classics. Dressing all in black was considered chic and mysterious and it still is today.

Now that you know how to strut through the decades in style, go forth and be fabulous!

Sources:
All pictures from www.forever21.com

Amber Strazzo

Millersville

Amber Strazzo was born in Queens, NY, but raised in Lancaster, PA. She is currently a Senior at Millersville University, studying Public Relations and Journalism. Amber is the Vice President of Programs of the Xi Tau chapter of Delta Zeta, and is very active in Greek life on her campus. She's a self-proclaimed social media junkie, and loves shopping, her Nook and catching up episodes of Pretty Little Liars. After college, Amber plans to head south for grad school for student affairs.