How to be Good to Yourself, as told by Phoebe Buffay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Everyone knows that Phoebe Buffay is the kooky, funky one in Friends, and she always kept us on our toes. Throughout the show, she did some crazy things that sometimes got her and her friends into trouble, and she made bad decisions sometimes, but she always kept upbeat. Overall, Phoebe is the prime example of living life to the fullest, while still being human and making mistakes. One thing that she always does well, however, is love herself. While all of the other friends have days where they doubt themselves or want to be different, Phoebe is true to herself in that she loves who she is and she refuses to change her beliefs. And so, here you go – how to be good to yourself, as told by Phoebe Buffay.

1.) Love yourself.

Phoebe knows how hot she is, and she’s not afraid to let the world know. She has nothing to be ashamed of, and she won’t let anyone tell her otherwise – neither should you!

2.) Don’t let anyone judge you.

Phoebe not only knew that she was hot, but she also knew that she was smart and persistent. She didn’t let anyone believe that she was just a hot blonde.

3.) Be honest to yourself…and to others.

Phoebe never bothered to lie to herself, and she didn’t make up reasons to avoid things. She was upfront and honest about what she did or did not want.

4.) Be bold.

I’m not saying Phoebe wasn’t afraid of anything, but she was pretty close to fearless. Her confidence got her where she wanted to go, and it impressed the people around her.

5.) Stand up for yourself.

Nobody could screw Phoebe over, because she didn’t let them. She knew who she was and what she wanted, and she never let anyone push her aside.

6.) Stick to your beliefs.

Phoebe believed in some things that aren’t commonly heard of, and she was devoted to sticking to those things. When someone tried to make her change what she believed in, she made sure to shut them down (sometimes even convincing them to change their beliefs in the process).

7.) Always try to help make the world better.

Phoebe was devoted to helping the rest of the world, and she believed in equality and opportunities for everyone. Whether she was trying to help dying Christmas trees find their potential or end the hate that exists in this world, positivity for everyone was one of her major goals.

In today’s world, being different is becoming something that is treasured and viewed positively, but there are still those people who try to shut down diversity. Phoebe teaches us that not only is it okay to be different, but the right people will love you no matter what. Be different, and be proud!

HCXO, Lola

*All images courtesy of Giphy

Lola Itzhaki

Millersville '19

Lola is currently a senior at Millersville University studying Early Childhood Education and has a love for art, music, plants, and coffee. Writing is something she has always loved, as well as traveling. A major goal of hers is to travel the whole way around the Earth and experience the different cultures across the world.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3