bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guide To Healthy Eating In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Ah. College food. Everyone’s favorite. If you’re like me, and tend to eat the same foods day after day, here are a few tips to incorporate some variety and ~health~ into your college meal plan endeavors!

1. Aim for balanced meals.

Don’t worry about calories. Instead, focus on eating as much whole, nutrient rich foods as possible. Proteins and fats are essential for staying healthy! Incorporate avocados, peanut butter, or Greek yogurt into your meals to help keep you full longer. Proteins like chicken, eggs, and deli meat are always a good idea, and typically readily available in the dining hall.

2. Try the Groothie at Saxby’s!

If you’ve been at Saxby’s this semester for a much needed cup of coffee, you’ve probably seen the “Groothie” on their menu. This green smoothie is my go-to for days when I feel like I just need nutrients in me, and quick. It’s dairy-free, gluten-free, soy free, preservative free, and has zero refined sugars. Basically health in a cup. The actual ingredients are organic dark leafy greens, apples, bananas, and pineapple.

3. Stock your dorm room or apartment with snacks that aren’t junk food.

Keep apples and baby carrots in your fridge for a refreshing, light snack. Oatmeal and low-sugar granola bars are a tasty breakfast option for mornings you’re too tired to go to the dining hall. To-go friendly snacks like nuts or dried fruit will be a lifesaver for hectic days when you either miss lunch or get hungry in between classes! And if you’re a peanut butter fiend like myself, keep a jar in your room. Or two. When all else fails, pb + spoon.

4. Treat yourself now and then to off-campus eats.

Downtown Lancaster is a bus ride away, and full of amazing food. It’s like the Amish farmers and the hipster restaurant chefs joined forces to create a wonderland of delicious foods. Do some research before you go so that you know what places to hit up. A few favorites of mine are Prince Street Cafe, Annie Bailey’s Irish Pub & Restaurant, and if you venture out on a Tuesday, Friday, or Saturday – the Lancaster Central Market! There’s something for everyone downtown. Take a trip with some friends and enjoy some new, healthy foods!

*All images courtesy of Giphy and getrealgetraw.com

Lisa Conolly

Millersville

I am currently a sophomore at Millersville University, and I'm studying sociology! Besides writing for Her Campus, I love going to concerts, taking day trips to the beach, practicing yoga, and hanging out with friends on campus.  
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3