diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Easy Tips to Make this Semester a Success!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

After a month long break, it’s time to get back in the swing of things. This can be easier said than done, but I have a few tips to try help keep you happy, healthy, and thriving this semester! Here are the tops things you can do to help you function at your prime.

1. Get plenty of sleep

I know with assignments piling up, sleep often seems to take a backseat, but you can’t be giving your all to assignments and classes if you’re dozing off. If eight hours a night is too difficult, take a 45 minute nap. Anything longer will probably make you feel groggy, but 45 minutes or less will help you feel refreshed and ready to go!

2. Drink a lot of water

I’m sure you know the benefits of water: flushing toxins, remedying headaches, clearing skin, promoting regular digestion, supporting the immune system, encouraging weight loss, and boosting energy. It’s recommended to daily drink half an ounce to an ounce for every pound you weigh. Stay hydrated!

3. Eat healthy foods

Maintaining a stable diet is also of utmost importance. Try to be healthy overall, but don’t be afraid to treat yourself every once in awhile! A healthy diet contains moderate amounts of each food group (yes including carbs, your body needs them in moderation as well!), and is very colorful (fruits and vegetables).

4. Eat breakfast every day

Speaking of eating, it’s always crucial to start your day off with the most important meal of the day. Breakfast helps you focus in class, gives you energy, speeds up your metabolism, improves your mood, and sets the tone for your whole day. Again, the perfect breakfast contains proteins, for long term energy, fiber to keep you fuller longer, and carbohydrates for short term energy. For example, a solid breakfast would be eggs or yogurt, whole wheat toast/bagel/muffin/etc., and an apple or banana.

5. Get active!

Let’s stop thinking that being active means crushing it at the gym. Exercise can look a little different to everyone, but no matter what you’re doing, it’s important to just get your blood pumping. Working out can improve your mood, help you lose weight and sleep better, and build your endurance and strength, increasing your lifespan! Start small, get some friends, and find what you like the best!

6. Do things early

Leave procrastination in 2017. Try to do assignments as soon as you possibly can. The earlier you get something done, the more time you have to do fun activities!

7. Stay organized

I like to keep a planner where I write due dates and a daily to do list. I also write due dates on my calendar, so I can see upcoming tests/papers/projects. Keep separate notebooks and folders for each class.

8. Make time for fun and friends

It’s okay to take study breaks to do things with friends, you need that social interaction. Your friends will keep you laughing and happy, and are there for you when you need them.

9. Have time to relax and unwind alone

It’s not selfish to want to spend time with yourself and some Netflix or a good book. Alone time is beneficial for you mentally. Sometimes it’s nice to get away from the noise and stress of school and just have some time with your thoughts.

10. Listen to your body and mind

Simply put, take care of yourself. If you’re hungry, eat; tired, rest. It’s okay to need a few moments of tears; just make sure you get back up. Your mental and physical state matter! Please don’t run yourself in the ground and do what you need to do.

The power to have a great semester is up to you! Prioritize yourself over school and your school work will come into place. Have a great semester!

*All photos courtesy of giphy.com and Pinterest 

Alyssa Dicker

Millersville '20

Alyssa will be graduating in May 2020 with her bachelors in Communications-Public Relations. She also is double minoring in English-Journalism and Marketing. Drawing inspiration from her relationship since 2014, Alyssa's favorite topics to write about are relationships and relationship advice. After school, she is getting married in October to her fiance Brandon, an ICU nurse at UPMC Pinnacle. Professionally, she hopes to work somewhere where she can be an advocate for children. 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3