This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Many of you may have heard about the abandoned town called Centralia. Last year, my best friend and I decided to go for a trip to the abandoned town. Before we decided to go, we first wanted to learn about the history of the eerie town and any precautions we might have to take. You see, even though Centralia is a huge tourist destination, it’s extremely dangerous as well. At any moment gas can leak from the ground through pockets and, even more dangerously, the ground can collapse in on itself at any time.

Photo courtesy of centraliapa.org

The history of this town is pretty interesting! In 1962, members of the town decided to start a fire with the goal of getting rid of their landfill. The town’s ultimate downfall could have been prevented had they checked to see what laid beneath the landfill. Under the landfill is a series of coal mines. When the fire was started, the fire spread to the coal mines. It is said that there is enough coal in those mines to keep the fire burning for another 250 years! Eventually the underground inferno destroyed the town of Centralia and the residents had to evacuate. However, twelve people still remain because they refused to leave their homes.

Photo courtesy of centraliapa.org

The biggest reason people come to Centralia is to visit the abandoned highway – people call this the Graffiti Highway. People from all over the place come, a bottle of spray paint in hand, and make their mark. You have to be careful on this highway though because of all the holes and cracks – if you fall and get hurt, it might be awhile before someone can come help you. Also, be sure to bring a ton of water, especially if you decide to walk the whole highway.

Photo courtesy of author

This trip would be a lot of fun if you need a break from school or if you are trying to make plans for the summer! Just make sure you follow all precautions and maybe go with a buddy!

Have fun and be safe, collegiettes!

Elizabeth Nace

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3