This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Have you wanted to start a sewing project but aren’t sure where to start? Maybe you’ve started one but got frustrated and gave up? Planning on having a Halloween costume that’s gonna need some stitches? Don’t be afraid, pick up that needle and follow these tips, and you’ll be on your way to a finished piece! 

1. Grab a friend!

In my experience, sewing is rarely an individual sport. Friends make the process go a lot smoother. Having a helping hand is especially helpful when you are making clothing for yourself, because they can help measure or fit something to you. Having a more experienced friend is also a great way to catch mistakes before you have to tear the whole thing up, or to help you figure out how a stitch or fold is supposed to go. If you don’t have any friends who know the tricks of the trade, that’s fine, grab them anyways, they can help you pass the time!

2. Use a form

Patterns are great and there are many ways you can get away with just using one of those, but if you are new and/or want to experiment with sewing, a form is a great way to go. You can usually adjust them to fit your body type and measurements, and they’re a great way to visualize where you’re going with the project and an even better way to free your hands and table. If you’re like me and don’t want to spend money on buying a form, you can may one really easily with an old t-shirt, duct tape, a friend, and stuff or newspaper. By using this method you can be sure that the item will fit your body and that you won’t break the bank! Find the instructions here!

3. PIN PIN PIN PIN PIN (And buy a magnet)

Pin like your life depends on it, because your sanity surely does. There is really no such thing as over-pinning something while sewing. You want to make sure that any thing you will be sewing is secure with pins before you start to sew to make sure that all your measuring and lining up stays intact. Pulling out pins is easy, but pulling out stitches is a pain. Keep a magnet with you at all times. Pins like to jump away from you, or fall, or the entire box sometimes likes to soar through the air. Trying to pick them up with your fingers can guarantee a huge time commitment, pin pricks, and future pins in your foot. Using a magnet will secure them on the desk/table, and help you pick them up quickly and safely should you drop some. 

4. Measure Twice, Cut Once, Tear Out As Many Times As Necessary

Make sure you’re always double checking, triple checking, quadruple checking your measurements as you go through your piece. Even if its already cut or stitched, keep measuring it just to make sure its right. Most fixes are as easy as ripping out a few stitches, or realigning something, but you those fixes get harder the longer you leave the problem unaddressed.

5. Start Simple and Go for it!

Let yourself have some practice before jumping into sewing a whole outfit or something really complex. But at the same time, don’t let your inexperience stop you from trying. Find a project you’re really interested and give it a go. You can always try again if it doesn’t come out the way you want it. And don’t be afraid to experiment. That’s half the fun. Not sure if you know how it goes together? Give it a shot, it may work better or make more sense to you than the way other people do it. Remember: sewing is an art, it is an act of creation, not a science that you need to follow to a T. 

Hopefully you’re feeling a bit more motivated to give yourself the chance to start a project, so go ahead and check out some of the simple projects below! 

http://www.whilehewasnapping.com/2016/01/5-seam-pajama-pants-no-pattern-…

http://featheringmynest.ca/2015/11/22/sweater-mittens/

https://www-brit-co.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.brit.co/diy-kimono-tutori…

*All pictures and links courtesy of Pinterest and Giphy

I'm currently a junior at Millersville University with a major in International Studies and German and a minor in Government and Political Affairs. Outside of Her Campus I am invovled with Student Government, Society for International Human Rights, and German Club. When I somehow miraculously have free time I usually spend it being a total geek: gaming, watching youtube, watching netflix, you get the gist. Besides all that I also enjoy being creative in a variety of mediums as well as ice skating. I'm looking forward to the next few years at MU and I can't wait to see where it will all take me!
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3