7 Lipsticks That Will Make Every Day A Special Occasion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Blythe Baird, a feminist slam poet, tweeted on July 15, 2016 “My mother taught me that lipstick should be reserved for special occasions. Now I wear it all the time. I am my own special occasion.”

When I read that tweet for the first time, I decided to finally buy myself that three dollar matte black lipstick from my local Dollar General and wear it out. Yes, I wore black lipstick in the middle of summer un-ironically! And it was the best feeling in the world. So here are my top seven lipstick choices to make you feel like your own special occasion.

1. Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in “Exorcism”

This was the first name brand lipstick I ever bought and it had me hooked. The color is just beautiful, and it really is everlasting! It has survived many a sushi date, movie theatre popcorn, and countless S’mores Frappuccinos from Starbucks. If you’re looking for a lipstick that lasts in a shade that will never go out of style, this is the one.

2. Smashbox Be Legendary Liquid Metal in “Space Case.”

Okay, to be quite honest, I wasn’t so sure about this one when I first swatched it at my local Sephora. But I took a leap and bought it anyway, letting my impulsive side out for a while. A few hours after putting it on, I knew I had not made a mistake. This lipstick is a mix between a gloss and matte texture. And it shines like every star in space. I match it with silver eyeliner for a super starlit look.

3. Too Faced Melted Matte in “Wicked”

You’re probably thinking, “green lipstick? No way, not for me.” Well, my friend, you are wrong! This shade of green will compliment any skin tone and stick with you throughout a whole day. Channel your inner wicked witch in any month, wing your eyeliner, and take on the day. People will be green with envy that you have the guts to wear this lipstick and rock it.

4. Nyx Liquid Suede in “Alien”

Oh man, I’m such a sucker for Nyx lipsticks. I had to hold myself back from using seven of their many lipsticks for this article. Yet somehow, I managed to narrow my love for them down to this. Here is one of my favorite black lipsticks I’ve ever tried (and trust me, I’ve tried many). With a bit of a green tint, this color lives up to its name. One of the most out of this world lipsticks I’ve ever had the honor of wearing.

5. Urban Decay Sheer Lipstick in “Oil Slick”

This lipstick can either be worn by itself or over another color. I personally wear it with Alien, the one above. With a grey tint and a little shimmer, this color is pretty and edgy. Nobody I know has ever seen anything like it. It glides on and adds some sparkle to a darker outfit, which has to be my favorite thing about it. I’m a sparkle kinda person. The final outcome of the color also varies on how many layers you put on.

6. Too Faced La Creme Color Drenched Lipstick in “Unicorn Tears”

This one is one of my absolute favorite lipsticks I’ve ever used. It can be worn on its own or over another shade. Too Faced outdid themselves with this color. It’s shimmery and gorgeous. Not only that, but it’s hydrating as well! It’s so comfortable to wear, too. You’ll completely forget you have it on, but nobody around you will. It’s stunning on anyone. (I also suggest “Ursula” from this line).

7. Nyx Full Throttle Lipstick in “Firestorm”

I saved the best for last. A matte, waterproof lipstick in an amazing, pigmented color? Sign yourself up, this tiny case of lipstick will knock your socks off, especially in this shade. It’s the classic red lipstick, but it’ll stay on through anything, just like waterproof mascara. It caught my eye in stores and has caught many eyes while I’m out and wearing it. It has never come off on my teeth, either. I highly recommend this one.

*All images courtesy of Pinterest

Kay McKenzie

Millersville

Jordan Ettien

Millersville '17

A recent 2017 grad from Millersville University of Pennsylvania! I hold a bachelor's of science in business administration with a concentration in marketing! I am addicted to Starbucks, cute dogs and candles from Bath and Body Works! When I am not working as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus or as a Marketing Manager for my full time job, you can find me at the gym teaching Pilates!