stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Health and Fitness Tips for Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

When the weather gets cooler and the leaves begin to change color, I find myself consuming more and more of all the tasty pumpkin treats that this time of year has to offer. Between cookies, donuts, lattes and even pudding cups, my diet becomes one big ‘cheat’ day. Too many times I consume these glorious calories without even thinking about exercising and that’s not ok.

This fall, I have vowed to not let my favorite goodies get the best of me with these go-to exercise and fitness motivation tips! 

1. Take a walk!

This fabulous season makes for great walking weather! I park my car a little further away from the buildings I have class in to force myself to burn some calories. On my lunch breaks, I also make time to take my dog for a stroll around the block. Not only does the cool breeze feel refreshing, but it also gives me a chance to check out all the changing leaves! 

2.  Reward yourself with new fall styles! 

After two weeks at the gym (they normally align with my pay days), I like to reward myself with a new fall accessory. With the cute new scarves, flannels, boots and bags, you simply can’t go wrong with a little reward for all your hard work. I make sure to document all my gym days with Instagram picture or a sticker on my calendar so I know when I can get my cool new prize. 

3. Find healthier treat recipes!

Pinterest is my best friend when it comes to finding healthy alternatives to my favorite fall goodies. With things like a pumpkin cheesecake made with greek yogurt or even pumpkin flavored protein shakes, there is always a way to get what I love about this season without all the extra calories. 

4.  Run away from zombies! 

October tends to bring out the undead and they will challenge you to run! Field of Screams offers a Zombie Fun Run every year and Reading hosts a Zombie Mud Run which includes obstacles and a 5K race course.

5.  Try a new indoor activity! 

With cooler weather and the sun setting a little sooner, you can always take your activities inside. I love visiting the Spooky Nook Sports Complex for open turf or the SkyZone Trampoline Park for some trampoline dodgeball. Both complexes are relatively cheap and offer college specials from time to time. Looking for more excitement? Try a round of laser tag! 

6.  Sleep with your window open.

There is nothing better than the cool air to allow you to truly snuggle up in a blanket or with someone special. A good night’s sleep is a great way to improve your health and a key component of any fitness plan. 

7. Drink lots of water. 

Water is a natural detox and is needed to clean out your system on a regular basis. I always try to carry a water bottle and refill it several times a day. There are several websites to track how much water you need and your health professional can calculate it as well. It’s different for everyone! 

DISCLAIMER:

While these are my tips for a healthy fall, this is just a friendly reminder that these tips may not work for everyone. Everyone’s body is unique and you may need to talk to your doctor before attempting any kind of physical activity or diet change. Good luck! 

Cayla Pavlovec

Millersville

As a Speech Communication major with an option in Public Relations, it's only natural that I write and inform my publics of the latest and greatest things out there. I am new to Her Campus Millersville this semester and hope you'll enjoy my articles in the mix of all this fabulous talent.Here are a few things about me... - I love sports, music and technology. My weekends are often spent adjusting fantasy football line-ups or checking out a concert. - My guilty pleasures include slushies, sweatpants and binge watching Friends. - I am inspired by my professors and Ronda Rousey on a regular basis. They always remind me to stay passionate. - My favorite foods are burritos. There are many foods within a burrito and they are AMAZING together.  - I swear by the fabulous things I find on Pintrest and love to go on road trips with my boyfriend. Not to mention I can often be caught watching cartoons, especially Phinaes and Ferb, because I refuse to ever let go of my inner child. It inspires my imagination and curiousity. Those are what got me into media in the first place. I have to share that magic. Please enjoy! 
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3