6 Things You Should Be Doing For Yourself In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

We spend so much time on getting perfect grades or making good impressions on people. Take time and energy for yourself.

1. Figure out your passions.

Yes, you are in college for your career. But you shouldn’t define your entire experience by finding a job. Take an art class, start a new fitness routine, talk to strangers, cook new foods. Find something aside from your career path that makes you happy.

2. Make real friendships.

Having a S.O. is a wonderful thing, but you shouldn’t waste all your free time and energy on finding one. Nothing is ever going to be better than the bonds you have with friends. They will get you through everything and anything, they will bring you food when you cry, they will listen to you rant for hours and hours. Make sure you do the same for them.

3. Learn to be comfortable doing things on your own.

It is nice to have people to lean on, but you will not always have that luxury. Learning independence is a crucial part of life, and the earlier you learn it, the better. Ask your mom to let you do your own taxes or financial aid forms by yourself. Get your groceries without a tag-a-long friend. Go to the car garage by yourself. Obviously if you feel like you’re so lost you could cry, send out an immediate SOS. But learning how to function on your own is more of a benefit then anything.

4. Develop healthy habits.

Walk everyday. Drink plenty of water. Try not to inhale your food. You don’t have to be a fitness celebrity or switch to some crazy new diet. Just follow the concept of “in moderation” when it comes to foods you love, and make sure you’re not sitting on your couch watching Netflix 24/7.

5. Try new things.

The next time your friend asks you if you want to go do something you’ve never done before, cancel all your plans and go do it. You never know when an outing is going to be miserable, or the most amazing time you’ve ever had. Join that club you keep saying you’re going to join. Go on that trip if you can swing it. Be bold, be new, and be open minded.

6. Accept yourself.

It can be hard to believe you’re a #girlboss when you’re sitting in a dim dorm room in sweats, studying and eating tortilla chips alone. Or when you have to walk the entire way cross campus in pouring rain when your umbrella breaks and you feel like a drowned rat (something we all have to get used to here at Millersville). But during all that, you have to remember that you are bettering yourself by getting your degree, and you are doing the best you can – and you’re pretty darn good at it. Smile when it’s rough, because you are the bomb and you will get through it.

*All images courtesy of Pinterest

Carlee Nilphai

Millersville '19

Carlee is a Millersville University graduate with a BA in Print Journalism and a double minor in Music and Theatre. Her favorite topics to write about involve career, environmental issues, pop culture, budgeting hacks, and Taylor Swift. Carlee lives in Lancaster, PA and has a corgi named Alan.
Jordan Ettien

Millersville '17

A recent 2017 grad from Millersville University of Pennsylvania! I hold a bachelor's of science in business administration with a concentration in marketing! I am addicted to Starbucks, cute dogs and candles from Bath and Body Works! When I am not working as a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus or as a Marketing Manager for my full time job, you can find me at the gym teaching Pilates!