6 Lessons to Take Away From HIMYM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Any fan of How I Met Your Mother knows that its chock full of lessons. Some of these are deeply-rooted in forgotten episodes, and some are ones that everyone can identify. Regardless, this gang of beloved characters taught us a lot of things about life that our parents might have left out.

1.  “Nothing good happens after 2 a.m.”

(Image courtesy of Google)

We all remember season 1, episode 18, in which Ted and Robin attempt to hook up after a long night. While at Robin’s apartment, Ted’s girlfriend calls him while he’s in the bathroom, and Robin answers. Robin was under the assumption that they broke up, so Ted was sent home. In this episode, we learned that when 2 a.m. comes around, it’s best to just put on your comfiest pjs and crawl into bed.

2. Nothing suits you like a suit

(Image courtesy of Google)

Season 5, episode 12 was truly magnificent. In Barney’s (usual) attempt to get a date with the new bartender, he discovers that she is disgusted by suits. This episode taught us two unique lessons.

The first: musical numbers make everything better. I don’t know about you, but when I need a good pick-me-up, I go back and watch this episode. The musical number at the end is one that I could listen to all day.

The second: everyone looks good in a suit. Everyone! Refer back to the spectacular musical number. Barney shows us that men, women, children, and dogs all look amazing in suits. It might not be your go-to outfit, but it suits everyone. (get it?)

Here’s a link to the song, since I’m sure you’re singing it in your head now!

3. Love is the best thing we do

(Image courtesy of Google)

In this magical 22nd episode of season 9, Barney and Robin finally get married, and Ted teaches us one of the best lessons throughout the series. With this quote, we all fell a little more in love with Ted.

“Love is totally nonsensical. But we have to keep doing it, or else we’re lost, and love is dead, and humanity just packed in. Because love is the best thing we do.” 

Swoon!

4. If you can’t spot the crazy person on the bus…

(Image courtesy of Tumblr)

In this legen — wait for it — dary episode, we learned an odd lesson amongst a chaotic plot. While the gang races to see who can get to the bar fastest, Ted teaches us something crucial. If you can’t spot the crazy person on the bus, it’s you. But hey, you probably already knew that!

5. How to stage an intervention

(Image courtesy of Google)

One of the greatest things about this gang is that they’re not afraid to be brutally honest with each other. Their countless interventions are what inspire us to be honest with our own friends — even if we don’t stage an intervention directly.

6. It’s not legendary if your friends aren’t there with you

(Image courtesy of 9gag)

Season 9, episode 17 is one we’ll never forget. A lot went on in this episode. Ted and Robin discuss their past, and Ted reveals that he broke up with Victoria because she demanded he stop being friends with Robin. Robin, in turn, reveals that she wished he had kissed her at the end of their very date. What?! Meanwhile, Barney passes on his bachelor lessons to two young men while drunk at a strip club.

Through all of this, we learned a very important from Barney about life.

“And most importantly, whatever you do in this life… It’s not legendary unless your friends are there to see it.”
Jessica Moore

Millersville

I'm currently a junior at Millersville Unversity studying biology! I started at HC as a first semester freshman and have been with it ever since. Along with writing passionately for Her Campus, I am also a member of Alpha Sigma Tau.  My passions include reading, writing, animals, and food. In my spare time, I thoroughly enjoy binging netflix, reading a good book, and taking naps.  Instagram: @jessy_poo96 Twitter: @jessy_poo96
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3