This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

1. Make notecards

You’ve probably heard this tip  from many teachers, but notecards really work. They help you to remember a lot of information just by a glance. Whether for science, math, English or history (or any other subject I haven’t mentioned), this method will help you learn your information faster than just flipping through the book ten minutes before the exam.

2. Take breaks and reward yourself

I know sometimes you may be on a roll with studying and feel like you can’t stop, but actually it’s counterproductive to not take breaks. You retain the information better when you study for a while and then take about a 15 to 20 minute break. If you study a chapter and then reward yourself with a break, you will actually do better in the long run. Constant studying tires your brain out and then you get that annoying feeling when you can’t focus. So remember to take breaks so you don’t think about your work and breathe.

3. Stretch and wake up your brain

Stretching during your breaks can help get the blood flowing through your body and into your brain. There is also a trick which wakes up the brain by crossing parts of your body. Since the left hemisphere controls the right side of your brain and the right hemisphere controls the left, it takes more effort to do something like grabbing your nose with your left hand and your left ear with your right hand. It can be hard but this difficult will stimulate your brain and make you more focused to study or take an exam.

4. Study before bed

One of the best times to study and try to learn information is right before bed. If you study for an hour or two before bed, that information is fresh in your mind and upon going to sleep it has a higher chance of going from short term memory to long term memory.

5. Get a good night’s sleep

DO NOT PULL AN ALL-NIGHTER!! Not sleeping the night before a final exam is the worst thing you can do for yourself. You should make sure to sleep so your brain is active enough to recall all the information that you’ve been studying. Getting breakfast as well really helps to fuel the activity in your brain and keep you focused.

Good luck everyone and I hope these tricks help you to pass and remember:

Autumn Rapp

Millersville

My name is Autumn Rapp and I am 21. I am a senior at Millersville University studying English. I want to write fiction novels later in life. My favorite colors are black and turquoise. My favorite musician is Emilie Autumn. I am also a happy goth (yes there is such a thing.) I have been with my boyfriend for eight years and we will be married in 2017.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3