diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Tips for Editing Papers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Midterms are coming up. With that brings mid-semester term papers. Here are some tips for you to quickly edit your papers without having to get someone else to read them for mistakes:

1. Eliminate Contractions

Sometimes when writing, we forget and write words like “can’t” or “wasn’t” when his is considered improper. Remove these and it will also help to boost your word count.

2. Read Aloud

By reading out loud, you catch mistakes that your brain glosses over. Sometimes you can drop words or use the wrong word when typing quickly, so using this technique should help to fix these errors.

3. Eliminate Repetitions

It isn’t necessary, but it can help your paper sound better if you don’t use the same word twice in the same sentence. Also, finding other ways of saying something improves your paper so you aren’t repeating the same phrase over and over.

4. Back-to-Front Reading

Sometimes we get caught up in the details that we miss simple mistakes. Reading the end paragraph first and then reading those paragraphs that came before in reverse order can help you to see the sentence structures for what they are instead of the information as a whole. Also, doing corrections a day or two later with fresh eyes really makes the mistakes glaring in your work.

5.  Check Citations

Recheck your citations. Everyone hates losing two points for missing something stupid like a comma or period. Go back to your style guides and double check that everything’s in order. Citationmachine.net is an excellent resource for creating these citations for you.

Hopefully these tips will help save you some heartache later when you lose points on silly mistakes. Happy writing!

Autumn Rapp

Millersville

My name is Autumn Rapp and I am 21. I am a senior at Millersville University studying English. I want to write fiction novels later in life. My favorite colors are black and turquoise. My favorite musician is Emilie Autumn. I am also a happy goth (yes there is such a thing.) I have been with my boyfriend for eight years and we will be married in 2017.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3