5 Fall Fashion Trends We’re All FALLing For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Here at the Millersville chapter of Her Campus, it’s fashion week! Tis the season of pumpkin spice, orange and red leaves, cool weather, and a whole new season to show off the fun outfits that we’ve been planning ever since fall ended last year. There is something about the darker colors and the cozy clothes that makes me look forward to fall every year. And if you’re feeling stuck on creating your outfits for fall, we are here to help. Here is a list of the top five fall fashion trends that will make you even more excited for fall!

1. Oversized Sweaters

Fall is the perfect sweater weather! Oversized sweaters are becoming more and more popular. Pair your favorite sweater with jeans, a skirt and leggings, or a collared shirt underneath for ways to mix up your outfits! My personal favorite place to get these sweaters is at the local thrift store. And the best part about sweaters is that, for the most part, they are gender neutral! So feel free to check out the men’s section of Community Aid for the best comfy sweater you can find!

2. Scarves

Scarves are a staple to fall fashion. Not only are they super cute and complement any outfit, but they are also practical, keeping you warm in the fall winds! The variety of scarves is endless, with so many colors and patterns to choose from. If you’re looking to buy a new scarf for this season, I suggest purchasing one that will match with a lot of your outfits. There’s nothing worse than buying something only to realize it doesn’t match anything you own!

3. Hats

Like scarves, hats are the perfect combination of fashionable and productive. A hat can add that little extra ~something~ to an outfit while keeping your head and ears warm. While you are free to wear whichever kind of hat you would like, fall just screams “beanies” to me. Beanies come in all colors and some even have a fun pom-pom attached! If the beanie isn’t sitting on your head the right way, use bobby pins to keep it in place!

4. Boots

The best footwear for strolling through crunchy leaves and cheering at Friday night football games is definitely boots! Boots come in all styles and colors which is perfect for matching your shoes with your outfit. There are rain boots for the cold rainy fall days, combat boots for football games, heeled ankle boots to dress up any outfit, and riding boots for long walks under orange-leaved trees. Dress up your boots with fun socks peeking out of the top of them or wear your normal socks, it’s up to you!

5. Flannels

Over the past few years, the classic flannel pattern has started appearing everywhere. And we can’t complain! The color combinations on flannels are never ending and can match with almost any outfit. Wanting to add color to your t-shirt and jeans? Wanting to dress down a black dress? Throw on a flannel button down shirt! Flannels are the key to fall fashion. You can buy oversized flannels for a comfy look or you can buy ones that are more fitted. For the perfect oversized flannel, I suggest going to your local thrift store. There’s nothing better than a $2 flannel!

Anyone else super excited for fall now? My personal favorite part about fashion is that the rules are very loose. You can wear pretty much anything, as long as you think it looks good. So have fun with fashion this fall and don’t be afraid to try something new! Who knows, maybe you’ll create a new fall trend!

HCXO, Hannah

*All images courtesy of Pinterest

Hannah Newman

Millersville '20

Hannah Newman is a senior at Millersville University, studying Early Childhood Education with an integrative STEM methods minor. She has been writing for Her Campus for over two years, and is loving being the president of such an awesome chapter.
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3