sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

Well, ladies, we survived the holidays and it’s time to tackle this new semester. 

When it’s freezing outside, I want nothing more than to be wrapped up in a blanket on my couch with thick wool socks, a cup of tea, and a good book. But we’re almost at the point in January where at least for me, winter is getting old. I’m longing for warm, sunny days. Days where the temperature doesn’t climb above freezing and the sun is nowhere in sight can be really defeating. Here are some simple ways to boost your mood and shift your perspective so that you maybe enjoy the beauty that winter brings! 

1. Take full advantage of the first mild winter day.

Vitamin D is hard to come by in these brutally cold months! When the sun is shining and you don’t need to wear 3 layers – GET OUTSIDE! Take a longer route to class, drive with the windows down and music blasting, or just go for a walk. 

2. Find a fun way to start breaking a sweat.

Winter tends to be a period of inactivity for many of us – it’s too cold to play sports outside, and TBH, bed sounds better than the gym. Instead of hibernating until April, try to implement small workouts into your week. Exercise releases endorphins into your brain, which increases your positivity and helps build your self-confidence – the emotions that really take a hit when you’re in a funk. There are plenty of exercise routine videos on YouTube to binge before you commit to something. And the best part is that so many of them can be done in your own home! 

3. Make a summer bucket list.

Start planning early! Do some research on concerts, city events like flea markets or parades, beach day trips, and possible vacation destinations. Get your friends involved, too, so that everyone is on the same page and you can all get excited together. Here’s to daydreaming about warmer temperatures!!

4. Nourish your body.

For many of us, the holidays were full of carbs and alcohol – which there is nothing wrong with (everything in moderation!). But, too much of anything can take a toll on our bodies and make us feel sluggish. Try filling up your plate with an array of colors – leafy greens, fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins like fish or chicken, and complex carbs like sweet potatoes or quinoa. 

Hang in there, I promise the sunshine and warmth will return soon enough!!

HCXO,

Lisa

*All photos courtesy of Giphy

Lisa Conolly

Millersville

I am currently a sophomore at Millersville University, and I'm studying sociology! Besides writing for Her Campus, I love going to concerts, taking day trips to the beach, practicing yoga, and hanging out with friends on campus.  
The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3