4 Must-Haves for the Commuter Student Living Out of Their Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

During my year at Millersville, I’ve learned as a commuter student, that packing my bag is essential. Yes, I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders. I also carry an additional 15 lbs of daily necessities to get through my day. One may ask ‘writer, why not leave stuff in your car?’

Oh my dear reader, may I remind you that some commuters take public transport? The “beautiful” siren call of public transport and all of it’s glorious features call for special preparation. So in light of that, the mid-point of the semester, and my downward spiraling dedication to anything at this point, I present a short, but effective list:

1. Change of clothes.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 You may ask, why a change of clothes? Because, I said so! Look, if you’re like me and you go to the gym first thing in the morning, packing that change of clothes is essential. Even an extra pair of leggings in case your favorite pair rip or a hoodie to bundle up with if it gets cold. Even packing a hat, gloves, or extra pair of socks if your shoes get soaked is a great idea!

2. Toiletries

Yes I bathe before I leave the house. But again, I go to the gym. While sometimes you can’t pack a gym bag with a towel and body wash and shampoo, there are great alternatives. Pacifica and Tarte cosmetics are awesome examples. Their body wipes, dry shampoo, and even mini gym kits are perfect for the commuter student without easy shower access and leave you feeling fresh and ready to start your day. In my toiletries bag I also have my makeup, deodorant, and usually mini toothbrushes to help keep myself looking like the best snack I can be all day. Tarte’s ‘Lights, Camera, Lashes’ mascara has been a must-have for me since I got my hands on it.

3.Lunch bag

While I carry all that extra weight, I decided ‘why not’ throw a lunch box in? While it can be a royal pain in the rear to keep an eye on or remember when you’re in a crowd of people, it’s a great resource. You can meal prep for the whole day, on a weekly basis, and save money. Instead of going and buying that donut or that deep fried food that costs your left kidney and an eyeball, you can save all the money by packing everything for the week and just hauling it to school. If you have a friend, professor or space where a mini fridge is accessible and they’ll let you keep your lunch box there too that’s one less thing to carry all day. …just don’t forget where you put it.

4. Lanyard of Life

My lanyard is my life. Without it I am literally nothing. Your lanyard, as a commuter student, is the key to your survival. I picked up a used Victoria’s Secret PINK one a few years ago at a thrift shop and it has served me well ever since. I always hook it on to my belt loop so I literally know where it is at ALL times. It also has my keys on it and my flash drive. In my card space I have my school and state ID. In a sealed compartment I have stuff for paying for things and some gift cards that were given to me during the holidays for restaurants and grab-and-go places that are near my campus. I also keep my bus pass in a slot, along with transfers and any money I need for the bus fare. I would say the only time my lanyard is not on me is when I have leggings on at the gym. Otherwise? I have no reason not to have it glued to my hip! Almost literally, but not really, cause my hips don’t need anything glued to them.

So that concludes it. My short (but definite, and highly refined) list of the 4 most important necessities for the commuter student always on the go! Hang tough the rest of this semester! You got this! Be prepared!

* All images courtesy of Giphy and Student Powered

Lindsey Tracy

Millersville

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3