The 10 Commandments Of Freshmen Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Millersville chapter.

If you would have asked me a year ago how I thought my sophomore year would be going, I would’ve said something about being at West Chester; close to both my family and boyfriend. But as I sit in my dorm room at Millersville, I could not be happier or want to be anywhere else. As we begin another semester full of endless possibilities, I often look back on freshmen year. So to all the freshmen reading this article, this one’s for you!

1. Don’t bring the long distance relationship to college with you. It may seem perfect right now, but it’s always good to meet some new people and knew friends. If you’re having any doubts about your relationship, give it a short break and see how things go!

2. Put yourself out there more! Im starting my sophomore year and I am still making new friends. If you see someone sitting alone at lunch sit with them. You never know who could become your best friend for the rest of your life.

3. Decorate your room!! This is your home now, even if you go home on weekends. The room you are in now is your own personal space, so be as creative as you want and to express your personality.

4.Talk in class. I like sitting in the front because I actually focus better. Find your own way that makes you comfortable. After all,  the whole reason you’re here is to learn

5. You’re going to make mistakes! It’s okay! Learn from them and move on. This is something I still struggle with. Own your mistakes and work to improve!

6. Call your parents and your friends from home. You may be busy with your new friends and school here, but when you go home for breaks it will be lonely if you don’t keep in contact with some people.

7.Be smart, and make good decisions. It’s easy to get caught up in parties, but if your mistakes end up on your record, it could impact your career.

8. Be safe! Don’t walk anywhere alone at night; always use the buddy system. If you don’t have someone to walk with, call an uber or a friend that can pick you up!  

9. It is more than okay to have alone time! Just be careful not to exclude yourself from other people.

10. It’s okay to not be okay. It’s okay to miss home and have a hard time adjusting. Not everyone shows it, but everyone misses their old life. College gives you the opportunity to discover yourself and become stronger. Looking up to adults was something we did growing up; wanting to be them was our dream! Now is your chance so take that leap. Talk to new people, look at clubs.  Everyone has good and bad days, but it’s better if you keep pushing through and keep your head up.

*All images courtesy of Giphy

The top fashion and lifestyle magazine for college women! Located in Millersville, PA <3