Things Tall People Can Find Annoying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Let me start by saying that not all tall people have a problem with people pointing out their height. I for one, am very proud to be 5’10”. But there comes a point where constantly being defined by your height annoys you. Here’s a list of obnoxious things tall women face on a day to day basis (aka things you should avoid doing):

Saying, “how tall are you?” as a greeting.

Yes, I am aware of my height, and yes I know that it is unique. But being constantly asked how unique I am can get frustrating. It is not the only thing about me and honestly, a simple “hello” would have been a perfect conversation starter.

Referring to a tall person as “giagantor.”

I must admit that my family will occasionally call me this as a term of endearment, or to point out the startling height difference between me and my 5’1” sister. But there is no need for someone I don’t know to call me, or anyone else, this. Don’t hate me because you can’t touch the top of my head.

Telling a tall person they can’t do something because they’re tall.

I will have you know that I can do anything I please. Yes, there are limitations to being tall, but there are limitations to being average and short too. That is not to say that I can’t crawl into small spaces or wear 5 inch heels because I feel like it.

Jumping on them without permission.

Not everyone enjoys being jumped on. You shouldn’t assume that I can hold your weight just because I am above average height. There is NO correlation. And no, you can’t sit on my shoulders to see how the weather is up here.

Staring and saying, “Why are you so TALL?”

WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME THIS STUPID QUESTION? Please explain what answer you intend on hearing by asking me that. Why are you so average? Why are you so short? I don’t know, that’s just how I am. Get over it.