Spring is here! Now what?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve recently had the two most amazing weeks of your life.  The first one obviously being spring break with many of us traveling to distant and exotic places such as Cancun, Cabo or my personal favorite South Beach. A week filled with nothing but drunken explorations, steamy hook ups and maybe one or two regrets? Then comes reality to drag us back to that thing we pay 50,000 dollars a year to attend. Except no one is really focusing on it because we are all too pumped dropping hundreds of dollars on clothes that will barely cover anything. That’s right, I’m referring to the weekend that just past, the weekend that made all of our lives (and one girl and a tree pretty famous) – Ultra Weekend. And now that that’s over, you’re probably sitting there in your dorm praying that you’ll soon recover from the festivities that recently took place, and wondering…What’s next? What can I possibly do to top the sheer epic-ness that was the past two weeks of my life? Well, my lovely canes, fret no more, I’ve cleverly compiled a short and sweet list of fun, legal and possibly dirty things for you to do.

1. SPRING CLEANIN’: As cliché as it sounds, after a month of midterms, your dorm, apartment, house and even your car could use a good cleaning. Take one day to yourself, blast some music, throw on those ridiculously pair of baggy sweats that we all know you have and get to cleaning! Go through your closet and donate old clothes that you don’t wear anymore to Good Will (After all, it will only leave room for new clothes to take their place!). Get rid of all those papers lying around that despite what your teacher says, I sincerely doubt that you will need your first draft of your essay from two months ago.  Break out your swifter and tackle that mountain of dirty clothes sitting in the corner of your room. And for goodness sake, clean out your fridge! It could very well take all day but the feeling you will get after will only set the tone for the amazing spring to come.
  2. GYM GYM GYM. Pauly D had it wrong. The actual phrase gym, tan, laundry isn’t a plausible series of events. Laundry and tanning won’t be that essential if you’re lacking the proper physique because let’s face it, what’s there to show off if you aren’t looking and feeling your best? Get to the Wellness Center, hop on that elliptical and go, baby, go. 30 minutes out of your day, every day, is the bare minimum you need to do. I guarantee by the end of a four week period, not only will YOU thank yourself, but everyone else will to. And by everyone else I mean that campus cutie you’ve been seeing around, will stop, literally stop, and appreciate your hard work. If you’re anything like me and need someone to be there pushing you, then take a class! Not only are they FREE but they’re an amazing way to get out there and meet someone new. A few personal favorites include: buts n guts, yoga, and spinning! Don’t believe me? Try one of them and tell me that it wasn’t fun, tell me you didn’t make a friend and that it wasn’t one of the hardest workouts you’ve ever had (especially if you do buts n guts). I’m not one to be proven wrong very often.
  3.  SOUTH BEACH. Those two words in and of themselves hold a realm of possibilities for you to explore. Get to the beach, you know you’ve been putting it off, making silly excuses like it’s too far, or it’s a 40.00 dollar cab ride. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even take a $4.00 metro/bus ride. Go with your girlfriends and stick your toes in the sand and get your tan on. We could all use a little color, right? Or strap on those cute sandal wedges that have been hiding in your closet, throw on a maxi dress, compliment it with an obnoxious beach hat and hit Oceans Avenue for a nice lunch with a couple of Mojito’s or my personal favorite: A Miami Vice. Or, if you aren’t the drinking type then simply go to explore. There are thousands of cute little boutiques down there that are literally filled with cute, inexpensive dresses that are one of kind, not to mention the jewelry and shoes. I can slowly feel my credit card burning in my pocket, begging me to reuse her as I write this. So who knows, you might actually catch me down there along with you.
  4. CRUSH PARTIES GALORE!  That’s right, crush parties are in the air. Whether you’re a Beta babe, Lamda Chi lover or a Sig Ep sweet heart, chances are your favorite frat boys are hosting a crush party in the near, and not too distant future. So what does that mean for you? Get your flirt on of course. Cozy up to them at the Rat, laugh at their not so funny jokes and hug em a little tighter than you should when they greet you in the breezeway. Nine times out of ten, they’ll notice you and want to bring you to their crush party to either a ) hook up with you or b ) have you as a backup in the case the girl they really want doesn’t want them. Don’t take offense to the second option either-it’s a free invitation, free transportation and most importantly, free drinks. Plus where there’s one frat boy, there’s always his brother. 
  5. DO YOU. Take that phrase however you may but spring is all about relaxing. Whether for you relaxing comes from taking walks around Coral Gables, getting a mani pedi or having alone time with your friend, make time for yourself during your week. Especially with finals and summer looming, things are sure to get a little hectic and no one, I repeat no one, likes a cranky cane.

Whether you choose to embrace my suggestions of what to do with your time until summer is here is entirely up to you. They are just merely suggestions from a long list of things to do in this amazing city. Just remember though, Spring is a time for change and whether that means changing your hair style, changing your group of friends or simply just changing your bed sheets-embrace it, love it, and most importantly live it. 

Jackie Salo is a freshman at the University of Miami School of Communication. Currently, she writes for The Miami Hurricane. In high school, she was the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper The Courant. The paper won various awards such as the 2009 American Scholastic Press Association's Best Newspaper First Place with Special Merit award, the only paper in the Northeast to do so. Jackie has had work published in The Long Island Press, and Boating Times Long Island where she interned. She was the Quill Awards Most Outstanding Journalist of the Year and was the only high school student to be recognized by News Channel 12 for High School Journalist of the Year.