The Power of (Real) Facts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Have you ever wondered why your professors put so much emphasis on “empirical data” and “research”? If you’re studying to become a scientist or a researcher in any field, obviously reliable resources are something that can make or break your career. But what importance does it have on your daily life?

Whether it be through television, your friends, Facebook or Twitter, we all get our news from somewhere. There are so many different outlets that it can be hard to keep track of what’s actually “real news” and what information is really true. What’s even more detrimental is that in this day and age of surplus content, especially on social media, we filter our news sources to reflect what we want to believe. What seems not in congruence with our opinions is wrong, and what is agreeable is taken as true fact. 

But in our busy lives, a lot of us don’t have time to fact-check our news; it’s their job to be an unbiased source of information. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. This means it has become increasingly more important to note the sources of what we hear, read and relay back to other people. Especially in a time where our own president feeds the public false information, being aware is the most beneficial thing you can do. Taking in data at face value can not only be misinforming, but it can lead to a lot of inaccurate arguments and misguided opinions which, in the long run, can hurt a lot of people. 

However, on the bright side, it’s encouraging to remember that no matter what is put out into the internet or the world, reality and facts don’t change. It may become harder and harder to uncover them, some under the facade of “alternative facts”, but the premise is still the same. Do your research, find reliable sources, stay educated and the world will be a much less ignorant place.