This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

In 1976 Sonny Vaccaro revolutionized the world of college apparel. As the representative for Nike, he went from university to university paying college basketball coaches to have athletes wear Nike shoes. It was the ultimate marketing play: college basketball was beloved in America and both kids and the general public idolized college athletes. By putting Nike shoes, and later in his career, Adidas, on the feet of college athletes, Sonny revolutionized sports marketing.

Vaccaro did not foresee this business expanding past basketball, but thanks to the University of Miami, the idea expanded to the entire institution. In 1987, the University of Miami continued to revolutionize the idea of particular apparel in college sports by asking Vaccaro if he would be interested in outfitting all of its varsity athletes. The effect of this decision by The U was widespread. Today, all 54 Power 5 Conference teams, with the exception of Georgia Tech, have apparel deals with Nike, Adidas or Under Armor. Miami’s role in this expansion led to the idea of Miami as the original Nike School.

The Miami Hurricanes football team of the 1980’s invented swagger and, even if you hold some deep-seeded resentment against them, you can’t argue that they were good. They were the most polarizing and captivating force in the NCAA, on and off the field. Nike capitalized on the team’s reputation by putting their brand on everything Miami wore. Miami got free apparel and funding while Nike got widespread exposure. Miami and Nike became a packaged deal – literally. If you were buying official University of Miami gear, it was Nike brand.

Fast forward nearly three decades later and Miami, the first Nike School, has ended its relationship with Nike in favor of Adidas. Miami’s new deal is through 2027 and worth several million dollars more than the Nike deal. The deal has become a hot topic around campus and the phrase ‘original Nike School’ is constantly being tossed around. Even Hall of Famer and former Miami Hurricane football player Warren Sapp voiced his opinion on social media by destroying the custom pair of cleats that Adidas sent him in celebration of the deal.

No matter how upset the deal makes you, it is important to remember that The U invented swagger – not Nike. If Adidas wants to pay top dollar to outfit the school’s student athletes, then it’s time for the U to bring the same swagger to Adidas. The U holds a special place in the history of college athletics and the revolution of athletic apparel. We will always be the original Nike School, but for the next 12 years, the Students, Alumni and Faculty of The U will have to start embracing their place in the world as an Adidas School. Who cares what we’re wearing as long as we’re winning?

Image Credit: cover, 1

Briana Klein is a Sophomore studying Marketing and Finance at the University of Miami. The perfect blend between North-Easterner and Californian, she spends her days sending annoying snapchats to her friends who live up north about the "winter" weather in Miami. Self proclaimed sports enthusiast she can be found cheering on the Philadelphia Eagles, in the front row cheering for the U at SunLife Stadium, or watching SportsCenter for the 5th time that day. Reluctantly, a "basic sorority girl", she is frequently taking pictures with giant greek letters and dancing in slow motion. Beach bum and concert junkie on the weekends. Feel free to feed into her obsession of pandas by sending her some cute pictures or some feedback if you feel like it.