Mina Iskander ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Meet 21-year-old senior, Mina Iskander. He was born in Egypt and grew up in Ireland before he and his family moved to Michigan. Mina is Pre-med and majoring in economics and minoring in chemistry and religion. He is the president of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship on campus and is an active member of the Soccer Club. His favorite TV show is “Friends”, which is honestly the cutest thing.

How’s being president of OCF?

“It’s a lot of responsibility, but it’s enjoyable, stressful at times and it’s a really rewarding experience. I love our OCF community service trips because they tie into my passion of helping those that don’t have the advantages that we do. I also love the community of diverse friends that I’m a part of.”

During a zombie apocalypse, what would be your first priority?

“At that stage, I’d raid an expensive car dealership and just joy ride in a Ferrari. I mean we’re all dying anyway.”

What is something you miss about Ireland?

“I miss my friends; the church I went to. I miss Guinness, the beautiful scenery and just the Irish people. But I still love Miami.”

If you could time travel to the past or the future, which would be it be?

“I would travel to the future so I could see what the lottery numbers will be, so when I get back to the present I’ll be a millionaire.” 

Name your ideal superpower and why.

“To have super speed, so I can get all the things I want to do during the day done really quickly and have the rest of the day to chill.”

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

“I see myself as a cardiologist living in Miami.”

Who do you most look up to?

“I look up to my mom. Her passion for helping others, her kind heart, and the wisdom she gives me inspires me.”

What’s something that you’re really proud of?

“I’m proud that I’ve adapted to life in the U.S. and met so many amazing people. And after four years in undergrad, I’m still pre-med.”

What is a cause you’re passionate about?

“I’m passionate about religious education in schools. We’re so used to learning about the scientific explanations for the world and evolution and we aren’t taught any other alternatives.”

How would your friends describe you?

“They would probably say that I’m funny, sometimes annoying, adventurous and studious.”

One place you want to visit and why:

“There are so many places…One in particular would be Venice. I want to go sight-seeing and ride on a gondola in Venice.”

Your motto for life struggles:

“It’s far better to be exhausted from success than to be rested from failure.”

I love writing, cheesecake and Fanfiction.