Matthew Weinman ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Meet junior Matthew Weinman. He’s from Seal Beach, California. He’s an Economics and Business Technology minor and is proficient in coding languages: java, python and C++. Not only is he incredibly smart, but this dude scuba dives, rock-climbs, hikes and backpacks! He’s a part of Scuba Club and Beta Theta Pi Fraternity on campus. 

What superpower would you want?

“Definitely being able to control time. If I could pause time and still be in the present, I’d get a lot of work done or go traveling. It would basically give you super speed, teleportation and invisibility because it kind of makes you disappear in time.”

Tell us about the program you were in Capetown.

“It’s called VAC Corps. It’s basically an international internship program that places you with a company. I was placed in a Sacawazi Women’s Hub . I worked there and helped them build their business. They’re an entrepreneurship in Philipi township, an impoverished township. Their goal is to teach women entrepreneurship skills so they can develop their trade and make their own money from that trade. It encourages women to provide for themselves.

They’re sponsored by the Department of Agriculture and basically train women to grow vegetables, learn how to beat and sew. They were about to open a bakery and needed to develop a business plan. I spent time helping them with what to do with the funding and organizing their business sustainably. I used my business skills to set up a business in a way that would help it  grow rapidly. Most of them did not have a good education foundation and had taught themselves their trade.

How would you best describe the impact that summer abroad had on you?

“Those two months I spent there were more formative than the previous 19 years of my life. I learned more about myself and what makes me happy and what I want to do going forward. It didn’t show me how to be ideological, it showed me how I actually want to live. Now I have a very real experience that I can call back so it can inspire me to search for more experiences like it.

What did you love the most about Capetown?

“In Capetown in general, I worked 8-2 and then I explored a lot, whether it’s going on a hike after work at sunset  or camping or going to a Cheetah Outreach. Everyday was a small adventure. Once my group and I established that mentality, we would always ask ourselves what we would do today.” 

Do you plan on going back anytime soon?

“It’s not a question if I go back. It’s when. I love the people and the mentality. The amount of activities you do there. I’d be surprised if I didn’t live in Capetown for a portion of my life.”

What’s some advice you’d give to other college students looking into going abroad?

“Go somewhere that you’ve always wanted to go or somewhere that scares the crap out of you. The idea of going somewhere where you’re out of your element allows you to find parts of yourself that you didn’t know existed. “

“I genuinely don’t believe that you can find out stuff about yourself without traveling. College is the one time you can live anywhere in the world in a controlled environment. Whatever it is.. whether it’s an internship or studying abroad, now is the time to do it and then set yourself up for travel later in your life.”

Future volunteer plans?

“I really want to volunteer in Tanzania. My plan was to go to Haiti and help with the Hurricane relief over fall break , but that’s not going to work out. I’m going to see what comes up.  It was so nice to see what I did in Capetown. It was amazing to do something for these women when their main goal was to help others. That alone was so rewarding, it’s just a matter of time before I go to volunteer again.”

What would you do during a zombie apocalypse?

“Definitely depends where I’m living. If I’m in Florida, I’m screwed. But if I’m in the Rocky Mountains, I’ll just live in a cabin with a small group of people. I’ll find some reliable people and get to a rocky mountain hide away and see how long I can last. I’m not one to fight my way through a zombie apocalypse.”

How did it feel bungee jumping?

“Bungee jumping was the most insane three seconds of my life. The act of getting yourself to jump off a bridge …I’m still speechless trying to explain why I jumped off that bridge. That’s the beauty of it. If you can get yourself to go against everything you believe in and come out of it… it’s amazing. I was terrified of heights so doing that, I cant say I’m afraid of height anymore. It feels great to say I conquered that fear. I’m so happy that I did it at least once, not sure I would do it again. I actually said I wouldn’t jump and 2 seconds before the countdown, I said I don’t think I can do this but then I jumped. I’ve never screamed louder in my life.”

What’s your favorite TV show? 

“I watch a lot of YouTube. I watch a lot of Casey Neistat. He makes videos of his travels and  daily vlogs of his everyday life. He’ll be in LA one day and in New York the next and he’ll go to Cancun and  Saudi Arabia. He lives the kind of life that would make anyone say they want to live like that. He just enjoys life and I’d much rather watch that than any tv show. I highly recommend him.”

What are your graduation plans?

“I’ve started a real-estate investment company with my dad. I work on that more than I do in schoolwork. After college I plan on pursuing that as much as I can. I’m not a fan of organized education. I’m excited to work for myself and make something that I’m proud of . I haven’t had that sense of pride in education.” 

“It’s encouraging to feel so passionate about a future project even though it’s a bit unorthodox to start your own business right out for college. It’s scary but I’m very confident and excited to see how it all pans out.”

I love writing, cheesecake and Fanfiction.