Kirlos Haroun ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Meet 22-year-old senior Kirlos Haroun. He was born in Egypt and lived in Dallas, Texas for five years. He’s lived in Miami, Florida for most of his life. He’s pre-med and double majoring in Microbiology and Immunology and Psychology. He’s served as the president of Orthodox Christian Fellowship (OCF) on campus for four years. His hobbies include reading novels, comic books and traveling. He also loves exploring and trying new things. 

Explain your involvement with OCF. 
“I started sophomore year. It existed on campus in 2005 and faded away, so I decided to bring it back. The biggest thing to me with OCF is it’s been a journey. It was really hard to start and I was involved in a lot of other organizations.”

“The interconnection between the orthodox churches was something I had never experienced. Meeting Greek Orthodox and Ethiopian Orthodox, coming to speak to Syrian Orthodox priests was a new approach in my religion and belief in Jesus Christ. I like to see different perspectives. There are cultural differences and it’s beautiful and the similarity is still there. There’s this unified mindset that has strengthened my faith. There are different people across the world saying the same thing. It’s a big thing that has been the basis of how I’ve led OCF.” 

What on-campus organizations are you involved in?
Fishing Club, AED, and worked with PhiDelt Stand for Kid’s service event.

What are some cool facts about you?
“I’ve taken care of a camel once. I’ve traveled to 13 countries during my semester of junior year. I’ve prayed in 6 different languages. I am a member of one of the oldest churches in the world dating back to the 1st century.” 

What are your passions?
“I’m passionate about service and knowledge. Helping those who could use the help, gaining the knowledge about those who are persecuted and not given the help and attention that a child of God should be given.” 

What are some other leadership positions you have?
Committee of St. John Youth, Sunday School teacher at St. John Coptic Orthodox Church, and Assistant basketball coach for Souther United States Coptic Basketball League. 

What are your plans for the future?
“I’m going to medical school, creating a framework for OCF to last and going to Egypt in the summer. I also want to work on an initiative with the administration about global awareness of Christian persecution.”

What superpowers would you want?
“I’m a psychologist, so I’d obviously want to be the best psychologist ever. I.e. a mind reading psychologist!”

If you could go back time, what would you change?
“I’d so chill with Jesus! If you look through the gospels, Jesus knew how to party. Nearly every time he spent with others, it was over food!”

Who do you look up to the most?
“There’s this dude, St. Anthony, that lived in the 3rd century. This guy heard the reader in church one day say that one had to sell everything they had to follow Christ, so he did it. He gave everything he had to the poor nad then lived in the desert to pray for the rest of his life. He didn’t care about any of it, and that’s something I want.”

What’s a place you really want to visit? 
“I want to visit Metropolis and hang out with my close friend, Clark Kent.” 

What do you like the most about yourself?
“I like Christ in me.” 

Kirlos refers to this verse from the bible to explain: “2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you will appear with Him in glory. (Colossians 3:2-4).”

Update on Kirlos: On top of giving his all in faith, school, service and OCF, this smartypants got into medical schools at University of Pennsylvania, University of Miami, University of Florida and the University of South Florida!

I love writing, cheesecake and Fanfiction.