kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Create the Perfect Breakfast Smoothie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you set health goals at the beginning of the semester, but life always seems to get in the way. You plan to cut something unhealthy out of your diet, but your schedule gets busy, so you grab fast food in a hurry. You may want to hit the gym more often, but hitting the books has you swamped. Having breakfast smoothies in the morning is a great way to save time and money while getting all of the nutrients you need to get through your morning. Now, if you’re thinking “Liquefied kale isn’t real breakfast”, hear me out. Here’s how to build your smoothie so it’s healthy and delicious:

Step 1: Liquid Base

This can be anything you choose. My favorite one to use is almond milk, but you could also use coconut milk, water, or a yogurt base for a more creamy texture. Add about a cup to your blender, although I usually eyeball it…

Step 2: Fruit

Pick out your favorite frozen fruit. Most grocery stores sell medleys in the frozen fruit section specifically designed for smoothies. My personal favorite is a mix of mango, peach, pineapple and strawberry. Add 1-2 cups to your blender.

Step 3: Greens

The key to this is ratio. You don’t want more greens than fruit, because it won’t taste great. But you don’t want way less greens than fruit, because then you’re missing out on some sweet nutrients. Add a cup of kale or spinach to your blender for some green goodness.

Step 4: Protein

This is the step I always missed, and I’d end up hungry by the end of my first class. To make sure your smoothie sustains you, add some almonds, chia seeds, hemp seeds or avocado. Kale is already a great source of protein – try pairing it in your smoothie with some Greek yogurt!

And there you have it – the perfect breakfast smoothie for on-the-go college students. Of course, a smoothie a day isn’t a substitute for regular exercise, but it’s a start. Plus, it’ll save you money by cutting out those morning Starbucks runs. Give it a try and add your own ingredients for endless flavor combinations!

Alex is a junior majoring in Studio Music and Jazz at the University of Miami. While not rehearsing, practicing, or performing, she enjoys petting every dog she sees on campus and wishing she was at Hogwarts. More info about Alex at alexbrandenburgmusic.com