HC UMiami’s Guide to Types of College Campus Hook Ups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

We’ve all had them. We’ve all brought them up to use against our friends when they say “I wasn’t that bad last weekend.” And we’ve all tried not to spit up our coffee at breakfast as we listened to stories from the night before. We aren’t proud of all of them, but like it or not, we’re offenders more than we realize.

There are actually many types of college hook ups, and no matter what college you attend, every girl will at one point experience them. So here’s a list of the most common situations you might find yourself or your best friend running into.

1. The Blackout Hook Up: Your best friends probably made fun of you for this one a few minutes after it happened, when you got home, when you got out of the shower and probably once more when you woke up. You might’ve read the texts the morning after (twelve of them, to be exact, saying “Get it girl!!”), or you might’ve pieced it together going through the pictures on your digital camera when deciding which were Facebook appropriate. The benefits are that you’ll forget this one happens pretty much instantly, so if it’s terrible or not worth it, no harm done! The only potential downside to this one is that this guy will end up sitting next to you in the waiting room for an advising appointment, or worse, he’ll interview you for an e-board position on campus… and you won’t remember until the moment you see him. Make sure you give yourself adequate freak out time!

2. The Anticipation Hook Up: This one’s been two or three weeks, or maybe even years, in the making… but that makes it so much better. One UMiami collegiate says this type of hook up is probably the best “because once it finally happens, you know all that hard work has paid off.” However, the flip side is that the guy could be a huge disappointment. You’ve got to assume that he wouldn’t put in the work if you weren’t worth it though, and maybe he could be into you!

3. The Booty Call: This hook up happens in between classes, after late night dining, when you’re in need of a study break, pretty much anytime and anywhere. Who knows, you might even find you’re more than physically compatible!

4. The Secret Hook Up: The fun of this is that no one knows but you two… Ok maybe that’s a lie but no one needs to know how many people you’ve squealed to. You’re just really proud, why should you have to keep this one to yourself? But be careful, these can get out of hand and the secret only lasts so long. Also, be certain he’s not keeping it silent for sketchy reasons: i.e a psycho ex??

5. The One Night Only Hook Up: This could either have been planned or a complete and utter accident, but you go girl! Maybe the minute you walked into the Grove you locked eyes and knew where you’d be sleeping, or maybe you met 5 minutes before you got on the drunk bus. Be warned though, sometimes you’ll regret these hook ups. Make sure to stay within your comfort zone! These nights don’t lend themselves to experimentation. Safety is a must when you don’t see any potential future with this lucky man, and maybe you should have some mascara and foundation on so the morning stride home isn’t so shameful.

6. The “Why Not?” Hook Up: What were you thinking? Nothing, to be honest. You really weren’t. But that’s ok. Either it’s been just far too long, or he actually was the cutest guy in the club that night. You’ll probably never see him again, or maybe you’re a repeat offender and you just know he’ll be there for you. It’s a good time and you’d be silly not to take advantage.

7. The Round 2 (or 3 or 4…) Hook Up: You told yourself it’d be only this once, but you can’t resist. It’s pretty flattering to a girl, because you know he wouldn’t be coming back for more if he didn’t like what you had to offer. As a frat boy once said, “it’s like winning a jackpot…big, frequent, and a lot.” Look out for attachment, it tends to creep up when you least expect it, especially with guys you establish the familiarity with!

8. The Practically Dating Hook Up: You watch movies, you make out, and sometimes… you even cuddle. What?! Be careful!! If you aren’t on the same page with your man candy about exclusivity, you could smell a broken heart coming right at you. It’s always tough to have one person be more attached than the other, but if all goes well, the relationship might fall into your lap a la Cinderella Fairy Godmother. He also might just be playing… so watch out. The best way to approach this situation is with an open mind. Don’t shut down any possibilities, and try to keep the communication flowing so you two can make decisions together.

9. The Fantasy Hook Up: Remember that time you hooked up with Ryan Gosling and Luke Bryan in the same night? I don’t either. So stop scrolling through your tagged pictures for proof. You completely made this one up.

10. The Fall Back Hook Up/The Because I Can: This guy is the one you can always hook up with when you’re in between flings or relationships, and both of you are okay with it. He’s consistent, and he’s a great time, and you both have no problem abandoning self-respect and esteem to go for it. Maybe you had a class together once upon a time, or you met through a mutual friend freshman year, but who really cares, the important thing is that you know him now.

Happy Hooking Up! 

Jackie Salo is a freshman at the University of Miami School of Communication. Currently, she writes for The Miami Hurricane. In high school, she was the Editor-in-Chief of the school newspaper The Courant. The paper won various awards such as the 2009 American Scholastic Press Association's Best Newspaper First Place with Special Merit award, the only paper in the Northeast to do so. Jackie has had work published in The Long Island Press, and Boating Times Long Island where she interned. She was the Quill Awards Most Outstanding Journalist of the Year and was the only high school student to be recognized by News Channel 12 for High School Journalist of the Year.