This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

The Rivalry

On Monday morning, I was greeted by this lovely meme proclaiming the start of “FSU Hate Week.”  That’s right, one of the greatest rivalries in college football will once again lay it all on the field this Saturday, October 7, 3:30 PM at the Doak Campbell Stadium in Tallahassee, Florida.

On campus and across social media the rivalry takes the form of snarky memes and school colored gear. The documentaries The U and The U Part 2 play on a loop in dorms and organization suites from Monday to Friday. 

What has the rivalry looked like on the field? The University of Miami and Florida State University first played each other in 1951 (UM won) and have met 60 times since then. UM leads the series 31-30. FSU holds the current win streak with seven straight wins. Is this the year the cycle ends? ‘Canes fans and players certainly think so. 

Offensive Lineman, KC McDermott expressed his excitement for the game and his confidence in the preparedness of the UM Football Team in a conversation with this Her Campus writer. How will that excitement and confidence play out on the field?

On the Field

Quarterback Match-Up:

FSU starting quarterback Deondre Francios suffered a season ending injury against Alabama in their first game. Freshman James Blackman is now the leader of the Seminoles offense and is still struggling to find a rhythm. 

UM has fared much better at this position. Malik Rosier was the athletic quarterback behind Brad Kaaya’s strong arm, but that is not his story any more. Rosier has done a little bit of everything this season and has impressed his teammates, coaching staff, and the U Nation. 

FSU Offense and UM Defense:

While FSU has had some trouble offensively, averaging 18 points a game and finding the way into the endzone only three times, they have  played teams with good defenses so far this season. UM is a contender to continue that trend. The ‘Cane defense is averaging nine tackles for loss per game (second in the country). 

Linebacker trio Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney, and Zack McCloud are a force to be reckoned with and the FSU run game is just starting to pick up. As long as the ‘Cane defense manages to communicate well, there won’t be holes for FSU’s Jacques Patrick to find. 

Other Players to Watch:

UM

1. Running Back: Mark Walton
  2. Wide Receiver: Ahmmon Richards and Braxton Berrios
  3. Tight end: Christopher Herndon IV
  4. Defensive End: Chad Thomas
  5. Tackles: RJ McIntosh
  6. Cornerback: Malek Young
  7. Safety: Jaquan Johnson
  8. Kicker: Michael Badgley

FSU

1. Safety: Derwin James
  2. Cornerback:  Tarvarus McFadden
  3. Wide Receiver: Auden Tate
  4. Tackle: Derrick Nnadi 
  5. Linebackers: Matthew Thomas
  6. Guard: Landon Dickerson 

Bleed Orange and Green

Whether you’re in it for the football, the memes, or the excuse to let your school spirit out on hyper-drive (not that some of us need an excuse) rivalry week has something for you. As we spend the next few days questioning FS-Who? remember: it is always better to go to THE U!

An avid reader of words, Bri studies Political Science, History, Philosophy and Sociology. She enjoys reading, movies, civic engagement, and making weird faces in pictures. Her five siblings are some of the most important people in the world to her, which is why she makes them watch Disney movies. Bri aspires to break barriers and be a warrior with a government issued name tag.